New Computer - 32 bit or 64 bit - questions/recommendations

G

I am in the market to purchase a new laptop. Currently I’m using a 5 year old Inspiron 9100 with XP Pro, Pentium 4 3.0 GHZ, 1 GB RAM. The computer has served me well. Only drawbacks are the fans that sound like a jet & the weight – it’s like a brick. Lately, I’m having intermittent pink haze/black screen issues. Instead of continuing to put additional money in the machine, it’s time to invest in a new unit.

I use the following software on the computer: Calyx Point 7.0, McAfee Total Protection 2009, Office 2007 Professional, Adobe CS4 Web Premium, HP OfficeJet 8500 Premier, Quickbooks Pro 2009, BlackBerry Desktop Manager v5, Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred v10. I have a router, but it’s 5 years old, so I anticipate I’m going to have to replace.

So, my dilemma… Do I move to Vista 64-bit, or stay with a 32 bit OS. Everything I’ve read indicates if you are using Vista 64-bit, you should have 6+MB of ram. Most of the Dell laptops, only allow up to 4MB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz. Also, if I stay with a 32bit OS, will I be able to utilize the Intel Core 2 Duo technology? I’ve checked the Vista website to see if my software is compatible with 64-bit and everything indicates it is (except maybe Dragon and I think there is now an update). I want a system that will last 4-5 years like this one has, so I’m trying to look to the future when I build/purchase this new unit.

I like Dell. I can get an EPP discount. I like the in-home service. I can’t be without my computer for weeks. I use it every day from 5AM – 11PM, often with 3-4 applications going at the same time. I travel with it occasionally. We’ve set a budget for $2000.

Any recommendations? Can someone tell me if I’ll be able to utilize the Core2 technology with a 32-bit system?

Thank you so much for your input in advance.

Michele

1) There is no reason that you need to have 6gb of RAM on a 64-bit OS. None. You could run it with 2-4 and have no issues what so ever.

2) Intel's Core2's are 64-bit enabled. This means that they CAN run a 64-bit OS, not that they HAVE to run it. It won't make any difference on a Core2 (or any other 64-bit capable CPU for that matter) whether you go 32 or 64.

I personally don't see much of a reason to go to a 64-bit OS at the moment. The only reason would be if you need to have more than 4gb of RAM at your disposal. Keep in mind that in the 4-5 years you want to keep your laptop you may end up changing the OS anyway since Windows 7 is right around the corner and who knows what they will have next.

Honestly, if you like Dell and are happy with your past experiences, then just stick with them. I feel that they make a solid product and I have not personally had any issues with their support.

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
no need to get 64bit for the type of laptop you have. 3Gigs of ram is more than enough for what you need even I think 2Gigs is ok.