Dell XPS16 vs Dell Precision M4400 quandry

Reg_Pearson

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I was hoping somebody could help me in my quest to by a business power laptop.
After 2 weeks of reviews, flip flopping and various advice on what laptop to buy, it has come down to this.
A Dell XPS 16 or Dell Precision M4400
Most of my software needs Windows XP (SP2 preferably)

What one would you buy?
Dell XPS16 Intel Core Duo T9600 w/4gig DDR3 - 16" LED LCD 1080p - 6 cell battery.
I have to downgrade the XPS to Windows XP SP2 myself

OR

Dell Precision M4400 Intel Core Duo T9800 w/4gig DDR2 - 15.4" WUXGA LED LCD 9cell battery
Dell downgraded to Windows XP SP3

I am having trouble deciding which side of the fence to jump on.
Time for me to get off the pot.
Any insight would be very appreciated.

That's debatable. DDR3 doesn't really offer that much over DDR2 especially when they are of similar speeds and the difference between 800 and 1066 isn't that large. Also, the Precision is equiped with a Pro series graphics card. And if you are doing anything that relies heavily on OpenGL, you are going to benefit from a Professional card like a Quadro or FireGL.

The XPS 16 can be configured with either a 3670 or a 4670 (user's choice). The M4400 can have either a Quadro FX 770M or FX 1700M. So like I said, it comes down to gaming cards vs Pro series.

Reg_Pearson

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
The VGA on the XPS is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD4670 with 1 GB.

The VGA on the Precision is a NVIDIA Quadro FX 770M with 512MB

Thank you for all of your input. The DDR3 VS DDR2 was weighing a little to heavy in my decision and it appears not to be that big of deal.

I am leaning towards the XPS but my concern now is is getting all of the device drivers required to run in the XP environment.
In discussions with other people in my profession (We do industrial automation), I have been told that most of the dell Device drivers will cross platforms and I "should" be able to get the Dell device drivers for Windows XP to run on the XPS.

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
OLED screens not many know about them laptop becomes much lighter, much better graphics, much thinner and most important less power useage so more battery life.

go with the first one if you can afford it "extended warranty recommended"
after warranty repairing these types of laptops is expensive.

if you cant get extended warranty go with the second one because its parts
and stuff after warranty are cheap.

Reg_Pearson

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Thank you everyone for you input and advice.

I have ordered the XPS16 Intel Core Duo T9600 w/4gig DDR3 - 16" LED LCD 1080p - 6 cell battery, ATI Radeon 1GB
Additions: Blue Ray drive, Intel WiFi Link 5300, 3 year next business day extended warranty, Integrated Webcam

Total Cost:$ 2,361.00 Canadian - > about $2,100 US$

I will install a 128G Solid state drive running Windows XP SP2 when it comes in.
Should smoke! (in a good way, not wheres the marshmallows way)

Thanks Again.