SD CARD ERROR PROTECTED CARD

sharonrmac

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
A friend went on vacation and took pictures. Someone "helped" her and said "I'm gonna protect the card and the pictures". Since he "helped", she cannot view the pictures; she gets a message that says "protected card", and then "card error". Can this be resolved and the pictures recovered?

CBaca

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

Check to see if the "lock" is set on the card. It is a little tab that slides on the side of the card. If it is in the locked position, slide it in the opposite direction to unlock the card. This is the only thing I can think of that would cause the problem. Hope this helps.

G

Just had the same problem, thanks for the help. I didn't even realise there was a lock on the side. Saved me getting a new SD card lol :bounce:

Kmsmith000

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011

THANK YOU!!!! I was having a problem with my camera saying "protected card" - your info saved me!!

deepseo

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
This will happen if the SD card has a write protect switch on the side and it is turned on or if read only is selected under the properties dialog for the SD card (Right-Click on SD Card > Properties > General > Read Only checkbox)
Foam in Place