Philips 42pfl9803 claimed 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio

G

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction to find a good reputable review site like Tom's Hardware or Anandtech of this Philips TV. It has an array of LEDs providing dynamic backlighting which can provide an exceptional contrast ratio. This technology sounds very similar to Dolby HDR (a technology originally owned by BrightSide Technologies which provided displays with a very high contrast ratio).

I would be very interested to read about the pro's and con's of this technology as it may be a stop gap for LCDs until OLED screens become more mainstream.

Cheers

Ben

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction to find a good reputable review site like Tom's Hardware or Anandtech of this Philips TV. It has an array of LEDs providing dynamic backlighting which can provide an exceptional contrast ratio. This technology sounds very similar to Dolby HDR (a technology originally owned by BrightSide Technologies which provided displays with a very high contrast ratio).

I would be very interested to read about the pro's and con's of this technology as it may be a stop gap for LCDs until OLED screens become more mainstream.

Cheers

Ben

Dunno about review sites (CNet would probably be a good place to start; and a Google search is usually a good idea :) ). However from what I've read, LED backlighting does indeed improve the contrast ratio and also lowers the overall electricity use. And I believe the NTSC color gamut can be greatly improved over the older CCFL lamps, which get around 70% IIRC.

The drawback is that prices are still high compared to the older CCFL technology. Look at Sony's XBR-8 vs/ XBR-6 & 7 prices to get an idea...