Problem getting sound on hdmi cable did i hookup wrong

kels1123

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
ive connected all my home theater to the the dvd player and hdmi cord to the tv and when i go to simplink and put home theater on it doesnt play any sound but it plays the picture but if i put it on tv speaker it plays the sound and picture on the tv only not surround sound did i connect something wrong or did i forget to add another cable or something

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006

What kind of connection are you using from the DVD player to the home theater decoder box? You have to make sure both it and the DVD player are communicating properly, such as looking for the fiberoptic output/input or coax if that is what you are using, 2-channel analog, whatever. Go through the DVD player's setup menu and see if it is set to output sound only on the HDMI cable, and change it to use both HDMI and whatever your link to the home theater decoder is.

Another thing to look for is the default output signal from the DVD Player - should be bitstream or PCM.

scooby_r

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Hmm..another option would be connecting the dvd player with an optical cable to the home theatre receiver. That is if your home theatre receiver has optical in and an optical out on your dvd player.