obelisk282

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
hi im in the market for a big tv my budget is around 800$ im willing to go to 1000$ for a really good one. looking for a 42" with 1080p i dont really know much about TVs so please help me out

i was looking at a few that i was intrested in
secptre 46" at costco.com for a grand total of 870$
link to the secptre 46"tv

TOSHIBA 40" at newegg.com for a grand total of 800$
link to the toshiba 40" tv

and sharp aquos 42" at newegg.com for a grand total of 950$
link to the sharp aquos 42

please give me any subjection on them, or please help me find a better deal i dont mind buy a 32" if is really good and the price is really low

unnameduser

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I've been looking at TVs a while and I haven't decided either, but you should know that the Sharp's don't have the industry standard 1 year parts and labor. They only offer 90 days labor. That being said, most people seem to really like Sharp TVs. I would be weary buying an off brand TV. I am personally going to stay away from Westinghouse, Secptre, and Vizio. I don't do this because I know they're bad TVs, but sometimes brand name is worth it. I only go brand name on electronics. I would never buy a TV without going to Best Buy or a similar store and personally looking at the display. Don't go to Wal-Mart and look at TVs because they always split the signal which wasn't HD to begin with and looks terrible no matter how good a TV. I am looking at buying a Toshiba, but the reviews seemed mixed. It seems that people who actually own them like the TVs but people doing reviews on them trash talk them. I've yet to hear anything bad about Samsung or Sony. Here is a good Sony TV you might consider (have a Sony in my house from this site that is amazing, but not my TV):

42" at $900 with free shipping
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_15840S4100/Sony-KDL-40S4100.html?tp=161

For all the reviews and research, no matter which TV you get there is likely to be only one feature that will make or break it for you. You'll have to discover what that is for yourself. What I'm looking at is smooth motion and good color range (such as deep color or X.V.Color). All else for me is mostly irrelevant.

unnameduser

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I wonder can anyone else out there give me their opinion on TVs they have seen. I have been looking at the latest of Sony but I haven't figured out the real difference between the new XBR bravia's and the slightly older W, V, or S series. I'm not sure I'm willing to spend the premium on a Sony.

obelisk282

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
my budget is around 900$ for a 42" or bigger tv, narrow my choose down to two. the Sharp LC-42D65U 42" and Vizio SV470XVT 47"

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4337319&CatId=3650

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4240597&CatId=3650

the questions i having is which one of them is worth buying? whats the difference between dynamic and native contrast ratio? is 60hz really that big of a difference then 120hz? i try to google them but dint find any good answers. thanks for reading my email and if you think there is a better deal out there please tell me.

unnameduser

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
The difference between dynamic and native contrast is pretty simple. Dynamic is how much contrast the tv can display over several different frames. For instance, if one screen is pretty bright then the next frame is fairly dark the maximum contrast between these two separate frames is the dynamic contrast. Native contrast which I have seen called on screen contrast is the maximum contrast on one frame. To see native contrast you hit pause. To see dynamic contrast just play a clip that has bright scenes and dark scenes. From what I hear contrast is rarely worth considering in your purchase. As for 120hz, no tv can display a 120hz signal. 120hz wasn't designed to display a 120hz signal either. It was designed to prevent the image from looking jerky. This is most noticeable on blu-ray. Blu-ray is a 24hz signal. If you try to display this on a 60hz tv one frame will be displayed for 3 frames and the next will be displayed for 2 frames. This is called 3:2 pull down. As you might imagine, this can cause the picture too look bad on scenes where the camera pans or with action. The image is basically being slowed and then being sped up. I hear this can make a difference when watching sports shows. To decide if this is something you want, go physically look at a tv with and without it. 120hz will display every frame 5 times in what is called 5:5 pull down. Every frame is displayed an equal number of times and it look smoother. 24 frames times 5 equals 120 as oppose to 24 frames times 2.5 (the average of 3:2) equals 60. I have heard people say that scrolling text does look clearer on 120hz displays, but it isn't that much better. Some people like the 60hz. I will go 60hz because it doesn't make that much of a difference, but I will personally go and look at Best Buy tvs before making a decision.

The tvs you are looking at look reasonable. One thing you should consider is that they cost $99 to ship. The sharp looks like a high quality nice TV. If you notice, several people have already bought the Vizio TV refurbished for Tiger. Why would they have so many refurbished TVs? They only come with a 3 month warranty. I'd consider the Vizio either a really good deal or a waste depending on whether you have to pay to get it fixed in 18 months if it were to break down. The sharp has a 1 year parts and labor in this case and is a solid investment. The sites I am looking at for TVs are newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, and crutchfield.com. Tiger rarely has free shipping, but I trust all three.

Here is the same Sharp TV your were looking at with free shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889101173
This Sharp and the Sony I linked to earlier are bound to be two of your highest quality options. If I had to order TV manufacturers in order of quality it would go like this: Sony, Samsung, Sharp, Toshiba, and then all else.