surfermike40

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Hi I have an older sharp aquos 45 in lcd tv. 1980 by 1280. A workman cracked my screen and distortion is spreadinfg from affected area. Can this be repaired?

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006

I think you mean 1920 x 1080 which is the usual 1080P resolution.

What's the model number of your Aquos TV? I had an LG45GD7U (7th generation panel) that developed a horizontal black line (no pixels working) about 1/4th of the way up from the bottom of the screen, about 7 months after the one-year manufacturer's warranty expired. After taking it to an authorized repair center, I learned that not only had Sharp discontinued that model, they also no longer made nor had in stock any replacement panels for it. So basically it was not repairable at any price.

Luckily I had used a Visa platinum card to buy it, and Visa extends the manuf. warranty by one year, so they refunded me about 65% of the purchase price. I used that to buy a Sony 46" XBR4 LCD which has a somewhat better picture plus 120Hz refresh for countering motion blur.

I will never, ever buy another Sharp product, even though that TV had an excellent picture. I had always declined any reseller extended warranties on the basis of the huge profit markup they get; in Sharp's case, those markups may be worth it..

Anyway, to answer your question, if the panel is cracked and distortion spreading - by which I assume you mean black areas where no picture is seen - then I would say you need a new panel. I would go to Sharpusa.com and look in product support for your repair options. They have a list of authorized repair centers where you can take it for a diagnosis anyway.