Getting a used cable box to work

dclapper53

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
I recently purchased a Comcast Cable box off of eBay to use on my 2nd TV. It is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300. When I hooked it up a phone no. popped up on the TV screen for Comcast in the Houston area which is where the box came from. Is there any way to get it to work without paying costly fess to Comcast? Thanks

I would think you would have to contact Comcast and have them troubleshoot your cable box. Not sure how they'd react to you having purchased one of their boxes off of EBay.

When my Comcast cable modem died, I plugged in one that I picked up at Radio Shack for $10. Everything seemed normal, but I couldn't connect to the net. Called Comcast and let them know. They had to configure something on their end to get it to work (something like registering the unknown modem). I wouldn't be surprised if you have to do the same thing since it's an out of area cable box.

-Wolf sends

dclapper53

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Comcast in my area does not allow you to use your own box at this time. I talked to a representative. He said that may change in the near future. I just re-listed it on eBay and sold it for what I had paid for it. When they do allow it, I will shop for another to avoid the monthly rental fees. Thanks for taking the time to help me with this issue

Viking_AM

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
In a lot of cases, the M-Card MUST be swapped from the box you got from Comcast, into the one you now have.
Cablecards are now the digital subscriber identification unit which allows you to watch cable from a box in your house. Otherwise.... How else could they track you?! lol.