RAM upgrade worth it?

Mandarinsidekick

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Hello forum,

I currently have this laptop: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00586930

Would upgrading the 512MB of DDR333 memory to 2GB be worth it for ~$120CAD? I am trying to avoid having to buy a new laptop to last a few more years, so if a memory upgrade will help that would be great. It's mainly an internet/office box, but multi-tasking is important and there is the occasional enormous spreadsheet or model software to run (I'm a civil engineer).

On that note...how much more performance would I get from a low end dual core processor, such as the T3400? There are some good looking Lenovos out there.

Thank you for any and all feedback.

Solution
if you are still running XP on that laptop than 2GB would be a waste because there is no real speed increase with XP over 1GB. maybe if you can see if you can just upgrade to 1GB of ram.

you will only notice a small improvement though because your CPU is only 1.8GHZ

captaincharisma

Distinguished
if you are still running XP on that laptop than 2GB would be a waste because there is no real speed increase with XP over 1GB. maybe if you can see if you can just upgrade to 1GB of ram.

you will only notice a small improvement though because your CPU is only 1.8GHZ

Solution