Solved! Trying to downgrade my sony VAIO to xp but cannot. NEED HELP PLEASE.

JoeHatesVista

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Hey all,

I just bought a new Sony VAIO VGN-NW125J laptop. It came with Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I want to downgrade it to Windows XP, but cannot find the drivers ANYWHERE online. Sony's website does not have them either. Anyone know where i can find the windows xp drivers i need?

Also, i was wondering if any VGN laptop xp driver will work with my VGN... And would i be able to just search for the individual xp drivers for the separate hardware?

Please help.

Solution
Xp is past tense. Use Vista or 7. The hardware configurations are made especially to work with vista and 7. The better the hardware is, the newer the windows must be. Oh and....most Vaio models DON'T HAVE drivers for XP. That's why they all have vista or 7 preinstalled.
G

Welcome to the club!
I've tryied same (VGN-FW355J) and worse, my recovery disks are not working; now I'm running on Windows 7, looks nice but I'm still working to find all programs & drivers previously installed :(

hanyib

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
you can download sony vaio VGN-NW125J XP drivers from this url:

http://www.getpcmemory.com/drivers/download-sony-vaio-vgn-series-notebooks-windows-xp-drivers/

hany

JoeHatesVista

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
i know. it pre-loads programs that are "important" like virus scans and such. its stupid. I dont want a memory hogging virus loaded up in the background so its "easy" for it to start up. i want the most out of my memory and ill scan my computer while it is off just like i did with XP. If it aint broke, dont fix it. especially with a newer, crappier version.

gtbt4ever

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I do agree with it..no hard feelings to any one..We some time do need to use some software programmes which are still not compatible with Vista .

Any help on Sony Vaio Laptop downgrade would be helpful and specially it is of VAIO VGN-N series it would be good for me.I have vaio VGN-NR 37g/s.

jane_1304

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
you can go to the website of vaio philippines, just type it in google and it will appear first, they have all available drivers and operating system for you to download you just have to look where in the site... you can find there a box where you can type your model then in the right corner is the service you need, put it in computer category and then a box will appear at the bottom, you have to choose what series your laptop is and then all the drivers will appear. i am downgrading my os right now...

V1ctor89

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Xp is past tense. Use Vista or 7. The hardware configurations are made especially to work with vista and 7. The better the hardware is, the newer the windows must be. Oh and....most Vaio models DON'T HAVE drivers for XP. That's why they all have vista or 7 preinstalled.

Solution
G

I'm not sure how old this post is but to any that stumble across it for help here's how I changed my Windows 7 Sony Vaio VGN-NW310F to XP Pro.

Doing so is easy...finding the driver was tricky...turns out at sonys websites if you enter in the modle it provides the drivers. The weird thing was wich driver worked.

I selected windows xp to get those drivers but found being in a rush was more bad then good. Wasted a cd.

Selecting windows 7 for the model type at sony.com look under hard drive. Thats the driver that worked...

Copy and paste the name of the hard drive driver file in note pad so you can remember which to choose when you slip stream it into the xp pro install.

I downloaded nlight and used it to make a install cd. You simply select the cd driver the xp installation cd is in, then select a folder you make yourself to put the new files into. Once that process is done you continue through the program where you can select the "drivers" button to now load the proper driver from the import list. Select import and choose the hard drive driver name that matches the one you copy pasted in notepad.

When its done burn it to a cd and there ya go. Afterward make an .iso to any folder on your hard drive so you have a backup.

You'll notice you cant go into standby or heard audio once xp is installed. You then have to install the rest of the drivers in a specific order listed on sonys site so that xp functions proper.

I'm still on my search for those drivers that work.....if only I had em it could of slip streamed em into the cd too.

Nlight's website has a tutorial on how to use the program if you have any questions.

Good luck Sata Users.

LONG LIVE XP!

sirknight

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011

Hate to tell you but you are really a liar and idiot. I have been in the computer business for OVER 35 years.

And Vista is total BS. And if don't like hearing that from me, a professional, read the following links.

http://theos.in/windows-vista/the-worst-operating-system/

Vista made the top 10 terrible tech products list and you say that there is nothing wrong with it? You must work for Microsoft you microbrain. And here is another URL for you to choke on.

http://ivanz.com/2009/05/04/windows-vista-is-a-pile-of-***/

And I have 100's of others telling the truth about Vista and Win 7 WHICH ARE THE SAME REAL PROGRAM, too 6 years to mess up vista so where did 7 come from??? It is VISTA and is also total BS.

So leave these people alone idiot, go and kiss some Microsoft AZZ someplace else. LOL

Sir Knight