WATCH Satellite on PC using HDMI Input?

gilfreed

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Hello, this is a multi-part question that there seems to be no answer for.

1st. Is it possible to take the HDMI out put from a HD DVR Directv Receiver and Input it into a Blackmagic Design Intensity or some other HDMI PC Input card?

2nd. If that is not possible to do because of HDCP encrypting, can it work with a HDCP stripper in the line?

3rd. If neither of the above things work. What is the best recommended way to watch HD Satellite TV, not record, on my HTPC?

gilfreed

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Hey, that looks like a great solution that I haven't thought of. So how does the Slingbox work with a Directv HD DVR? Do you run an A/V out connection from the DVR to the Slingbox, then connect it to your router with a ethernet cable? If that was the case, could you hook the ethernet cable directly to your computer if you had a second ethernet port?

badge

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
That's pretty much it. Install the software on any computer in the world and watch it from the streaming link the slingbox has created. Kinda.

Qnigma

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
Hello,
The answers provided here don't actually apply - the slingbox can does NOT have an HDMI input - therefore you suffer from quality loss - the question was about capturing HDMI. there are several analog solutions - but lets be real - not a solution.
the question: how do you record HDMI 1080p (or other) output from a directv box into the computer; for editing and viewing later.

Analog solutions are ... well the 90's

badge

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006

First of all you have revived a thread from January 2009. OP is no longer concerned with any solution you are referring to. Second of all the answers given certainly do apply. Read the threads before replying and in the future try not to revive old threads where the OP is no longer present on the Forum.

OP wrote:

""What is the best recommended way to watch HD Satellite TV, not record, on my HTPC?""

badge

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006

Of course not. The host device must create a streaming video of the satellite signal, so your assumption is entirely wrong. On the conntrary, few tuners are satellite compatible. This thread is over one year old. Read the dates and observe the solutions before posting.

FC360

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I have been wondering the same thing recently but the slingbox idea is expensive and would use up alot of my bandwidth. As my dad is with sky and has a multiroom sub I am able to watch some channels on my computer and xbox 360 but there is a big lack of stuff on it :(