Suggestions for a studio+home theater setup

the4saken328

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Hey guys and gals,
I'm going to be moving into an apartment soon and hope to have a nice setup, sound-wise. I am planning on building an amateur recording studio to record guitar and vocals and also home theater speaker system purely for music for now and adding a projector a while later. This is all centered on my HP notebook, which would be the source of everything. Well there are a few products that I just want to get some feedback and suggestions about connecting it all on. For recording and listening to music, I am considering the Echo Indigo IO soundcard. However, I have no idea if it'll work with a home theater speaker system, specifically the Fluance SX-HTB+ speakers, and am wondering how I would go about connecting these. What other items would I need, such as an AV receiver, subwoofer, or whatnot? Also, I am considering purchasing a Mackie Onyx Satellite Firewire recording system which would assist in supplying power to a Marshal MXL V63M Condenser Mic. Does this conflict with anything? And, if it matters at all, I also have a Podxt Live and am getting an Atomic Reactor amp soon. What would be the best way to connect all this? All suggestions are welcome. I just want an awesome sound system through which I can also hear my recordings. Thanks!

P.S. Just to make sure, hardwood floors > carpet floors, right?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
The best way for you to get more positive advice is to call the pro equipment retailers and get info from them. Go to the site that review those models and place your question there.

As for connection, it's pretty straight forward using Phono-jack to RCA cable and plug it in to Aux on your receiver.

Depending on equipment and arrangement that you have, it shouldn't make much difference between hardwood and carpet. However I seem to find that it's easier to setup things up on carpeted floor than hardwood, Sounds is less likely to bounce around like a ping-pong ball.

Have you check this produck yet? http://www.emu.com/products/welcome.asp?category=505