Subwoofer stopped working

Ghost9

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
I have had a set of 2.1 Klipsch speakers for around 8 years, but now my subwoofer does not want to work. Sometimes I can jiggle the plug into place so that it does, but then other times it just won't work. It's like the metal in the plugs aren't touching. Is there a way to fix this, or should I be looking in to new speakers?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
You may only have a broken terminal and it's fixable.

You will need the replacement parts a soldering iron and soldering lead to connect the wire inside the box. That's if it you're comfortable of doing it your self. A technician would always use a V.O.M. (Volt Ohm Meter) to check the connection before firing it up before and after the fix. But have someone else do it if you are not confident with all of this .

Ghost9

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
since I've never laid hands on a soldering iron before I'd probably look to someone else to do it. Do you know if it's an expensive thing to get fixed?

Ghost9

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
i popped open the subwoofer just to see everything inside and if I felt confident with it. It all looks pretty glued in and covered. I guess i'll look into taking it to a stereo repair shop or something

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
15 minutes, if what you mentioned is the only issue on that system but they may charge you an hour minimum but should not be more. The cost is from 20 to 60 Dollars depending on your location; if you live in a third world country the labour would be a lot less.

If you think you're comfortable enough then this could be a learning experience for you, so I would say do it yourself, of course you'll get the satisfaction of being fix it yourself and if you could not do it then have someone else fix the problems. The soldering iron would cost $5.00 and up plus the soldering lead which is about $3.00 for a small piece.