Solved! Cyberpowerpc desktop or lenovo ideapad??

nbajrich

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
My acer pc died and the shop can't fix it so i'm looking to buy a new desktop or laptop. I have one more year until i go to college so I'm having a hard time picking either a desktop or laptop. I'm looking for a gaming desktop and I have stumbled upon this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229110
I have heard of the bad things about Cyberpowerpc but this computer seems to be a good deal. I can return it to newegg if it comes messed up(right...? lol).
My other choice is a customized lenovo ideapad y550 with the following specs
System components
#
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.40GHz 1066MHz 3MBL2)
#
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 64
#
Bluetooth
#
GeForce GT 130M graphic card
#
Black glossy cover and White Palmrest
#
15.6 HD WLED Glossy,1366*768
#
1x2 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz SODIMM Memory( I'm going to add 2gb myself)
#
250GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
#
SuperMulti DVD Recordable (Tray type)
#
6 Cell Lithium-Ion 2.6Ah
#
Powercord for UL
#
Lenovo Standard Keyboard (White)
which one should I get? My friend told me that laptops are changing and that they'll be cheaper by the time I go to college(fall 2010). Any other suggestions? I'm scared to build one and my parents probably won't chip in to buy anything if i tell them that i'm going to build one. Thank you for your time

Solution
Neither of those options are going to be very good for gaming. The Cyberpower system comes with a low end Core2Quad and a low to midrange 9500GT which is not very good for gaming. Add onto that the PSU is only rated at 420 watts which is severely going to limit the upgrades you are going to be able to make to that system.

Now on to the Ideapad. The P8600 won't be bad for gaming, but the GT 120M will be similar to the 9500GT in terms of performance. It's not going to be very good.

$850 is a tough budget to work with when you are looking to combine gaming with laptops. If you don't want to build your own, this seems like a much better deal and it will cost you less than the laptop...

nbajrich

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009

i forgot to add that the ideapad costs about 850

Neither of those options are going to be very good for gaming. The Cyberpower system comes with a low end Core2Quad and a low to midrange 9500GT which is not very good for gaming. Add onto that the PSU is only rated at 420 watts which is severely going to limit the upgrades you are going to be able to make to that system.

Now on to the Ideapad. The P8600 won't be bad for gaming, but the GT 120M will be similar to the 9500GT in terms of performance. It's not going to be very good.

$850 is a tough budget to work with when you are looking to combine gaming with laptops. If you don't want to build your own, this seems like a much better deal and it will cost you less than the laptop: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227158

Solution