Can I connect my PC to my LCD tv?

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Hello,

Recently, an old CRT that I had just flat out died on my father. So, he went to the store and bought a "32MF338B/27 Magnavox LCD Tv". It isn't really anything special, but one of the selling for him was that he could connect it to his PC.

The Tv has a VGA out on it. The computer my dad has contains a 8800GT. The 8800GT has two DVI conections.

So, basically --

The cord that came with the 8800GT is hooked up to the computer via a VGA-to-DVI convertor.

I unplug the VGA end from the monitor and plug that into the tv.

Then I change the source to PC, but nothing happens. It just remains black.

I can't seem to figure it out. Could anyone lend any help to me?

Is there some options I need to configure on the computer? Is there a special cord that I need?

Thank you,
-Adam

Check your computer's current resolution. You'll probably need to scale it down to the TV's resolution of 1366x768. If you've done that already and it's still blank, you may need to lower it even further (1280x720) initially. I had to do that with my 32" 232T Olevia when I connected my system to it.

-Wolf sends

messy4512

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
I would like to say that the best thing to do is to have to TV already connected to the computer and the computer OFF. Then have the TV on, boot the computer and it will work every time. Yes you will have to lower the resolution some depending on what you have it at already.