PC-to-HDTV Digital Connection over Component?

Vizion117

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Hi Guys,

I have:
- XFX GeForce 8600 GTS video card
with 2 DVI ports, 1 7-pin S Video port
- Vizio GV42LF 42" 1080P LCD TV

What I ultimately want to do is connect my PC to my TV.

The best picture quality solution, as I understand, is to connect a DVI to HDMI cable from the DVI port on my video card to the HDMI port on my TV. However, I was hoping to avoid using up one of the two HDMI ports on the TV, and one of the two DVI on my video card. A previous very similar video card I had, had the same 7-pin S video port and it came with an adapter that allowed for a component connection.

I've done a lot of reading and as I understand it, generally component is analog and DVI/HDMI is digital. However, supposedly digital can be sent over component (?). Where analog component is YPbPr, digital component is YCbCr. My TV I believe takes either and I think my video card sends either.

I want to know, can I connect my pc using the 7-pin S video port + a converter from 7-pin S video to Component + a component cable to my TV's component in.

Is this set up (7-pin S video, Component Adapter, Component to TV -- all digital) possible?
If so, do I need to specifically get digital component cables?

Please let me know if I'm crazy or misguided.

Thanks, any advice is greatly appreciated.

No, you're not crazy or misguided. Your graphics card may have come with the 7-Pin mini-DIN converter cable (S-Video to RGB Component). Connect a component cable to the converter cable and your HDTV and you should be good to go.

-Wolf sends

Most video boards only allow for 2 monitors whatever the outputs used so I don't know if you will actually be saving an output for another monitor. I use 2 monitors, a 26" TV and a DLP video projector with 2 video boards (one PCI-e and one PCI as my pc doesn't have two PCI-e slots) and use DVI and VGA as needed.

Shadowen925

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I'm pretty sure you can have a TV as a third monitor. I have a friend that is running 2 monitors and then a TV connected via S-video and it runs all 3.