We want to purchase a Canon 40D and lenses

jwhoback

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Hello.

We are planning a vacation this summer to the mountains and we are planning on taking a lot of pictures on this trip. We've decided to get a Canon EOS 40D. My first question is this: How does this camera compare to other brands in the same price range? My next question is where is the best place to buy online. I'm really nervous about buying this online but the prices are so much better than going to a store so I'm looking for a legitimate online retailer to buy from.

Also, we are looking to purchase a couple of good, beginner lenses. I've been looking at the Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS and Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4.0-5.6 IS. Any thoughts on these or can you recommend an equivalent lens by another company?

I appreciate your timely response.

Thanks!
Jason

mbass

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
We recently purchased this camera and I find it very easy to use. It has excellent shutter speed and a good sized screen. The only downsize is that it is a bit bulky and heavy but this is the case with similar cameras. I found the price very comparable to similar cameras. I bought mine at a retails store so I'm not sure abotu purchasing online.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Stay with canon lens, the 18-55mm IS is better than the one it replaces (non IS), and depending on where you live sometimes retail store is better than online. A professional camera store would be the best place for it because they can answer your question if you have any.

Also ask for a filter to protect that lens and depending on your usage, a polarize filter is very handy.

TRENDING THREADS