HDMI port stops working on Westinghouse LCD

comrade

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
About six months ago, I bought my first LCD tv. I bought an inexpensive Westinghouse 19 inch 720P HD TV from Sam's Club and put it in the bedroom.

I've got Comcast with an HD cable box and I've got an inexpensive DVD/VCR hooked up to the component output from the cable box. I've got the output from the DVD/VCR running from it's component output to the component input on the TV. I've also got the cable split so that it goes not only to the recorder but also to the cable input on the TV. That way, we can watch one of the analog TV channels while recordering another channel from the cable box.

For times when I want to watch something in HD, (usually sports), I've got the HDMI output from the cable box going to the HDMI input on the TV.

Everything's worked well for six months, but a couple of weeks ago, when I would switch the TV input to the HDMI input, all I get is a blue screen. I don't get any message about no signal, just a pure blue screen.

If I connect the component output directly from the cable box to the component input on the TV, I can get HD, but that just takes the recorder out of the system, and my wife likes to use it for watching movies on DVD or taping and watching some movies. (She could not care less about HD as long as she can get her Lifetime Movie Network.)

So....., the HDMI port seems to have stopped working. I've hooked up one of my computer monitors which has an HDMI input to the cable box and it works. I've tried three different HDMI cables and tried all the tricks I read on the internet about resetting the TV, unplugging it for various lengths of time and repeatedly pressing the HDMI button on the remote. I've even called Westinghouse and they say it appears to be a problem with the HDMI port and I'm waiting for them to give me some info on where and how to take it for service.

My question is, does anyone have any other tricks I might try to get the HDMI port working again without having to go through the hassle of sending it in for repairs? From my reading on the intenet, this appears to be a not uncommon problem.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

G

I had this similar problem and the problem is also with a Westinghouse HD tv . Try and detach the cable from the hd port

of the television for 20 mins . During which time press the hd key on the remote of the tv continiously . then reconnect the cable.

then power off the hd tv and power it on. see what happens hence.