PROBLEM FIXED - HDTV Connected to PC - Display not filling the TV

cooljumbo2008

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
My computer is connected to my Toshiba 37" LCD TV (37AV500U). Up till yesterday I have had it connected it to the TV's VGA port from my video card, Radeon 3650's DVI port. I had the resolution at 1360 X 768, which was displaying very well.

Today I got a DVI - HDMI cable and have connected from the Video card's DVI port to TV's HDMI, now with the resolution set at 1360 x 768, the output does not fill the screen, with black borders around the display, even when I set the resolution to 1280 x 720 the same, but the borders become smaller.

Why is this so ? Is there a setting that I can do to achieve the TV's native resolution on the computer to fill the screen ?

MODs, this thread can be closed, I am not sure how to do it.

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
Some televisions don't support HDCP over a DVI-D connection. In this case, the resolution is down-res'd.

From the ATI web site:
3 Playing HDCP content requires additional HDCP ready components, including but not limited to an HDCP ready monitor, Blu-ray or HD DVD disc drive, multimedia application and computer operating system .

ATI Radeon™ HD graphics chips have numerous features integrated into the processor itself (e.g., HDCP, HDMI, etc.). Third parties manufacturing products based on, or incorporating ATI Radeon HD graphics chips, may choose to enable some or all of these features. If a particular feature is important to you, please inquire of the manufacturer if a particular product supports this feature. In addition, some features or technologies may require you to purchase additional components in order to make full use of them (e.g. a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drive, HDCP-ready monitor, etc.).

cooljumbo2008

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Hey all,

Figured it out, was a simple tweak through the Catalyst Control (A lesson reminding to check the whole setup for any hardware). The catalyst control had an option for scaling, once it was set for 0% scaling, the TV was showing 1360x768 in full.

Hawkeye22 - Thanks for the HDCP heads up but most of Ati' HD line up is HDCP ready, they were meant for High Definition content.

Thanks

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I know the vid card is HDCP compliant, but some older TV's are not or are running an earlier version of the HDCP (mostly handshake issues) spec. I've run into a few older sets that required a firmware update to fix the downscaling.

Anyhow, glad you figured it out.