ASUS G50Vt-X5

0tt3r

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I am thinking about purchasing an Asus G50Vt-X5. Right now, I am looking at this one from Best Buy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9173262&productCategoryId=pcmcat150700050002&type=product&id=1218044029168

And this refurbished one from overstock:
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Asus-G50VT-X5-2.53GHz-Core-2-DUO-Laptop-Computer/4105375/product.html

The Overstock's processor says it is .4 GHZ faster, but it is $30 cheaper. Is it just a good deal, or is Overstock not a good source for purchasing a laptop?

Oh, and, if you think you have a better suggestion between 750 and 850, you can suggest it.

jingcjk

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
30% choose lenovo in our country.And most of us believe that lenovo is not worse than the so called HP,DELL,Asus,ACER,except for the sony and apple,I have never see any companies got such good industry design!!Indeed the quality of lenovo is world first class!

:heink: Joking right? Looks should only be part of the equation when searching for a laptop and if you are basing it solely on that, then I'm afraid you are missing some other points in laptops.

While the Ideapad may look nicer, it is not as strong a performing machine. The CPU in even the first link he provided is faster and the GPU in the Asus will run circles around the X4500 (base) and even the GT 105M (upgraded) in the Ideapad.

@Otter: Asus releases several versions of their laptops. If you look at the specs page on Asus' website, they indicate that the G50VT came with 5 different CPU choices ranging from 2.0ghz to 2.8ghz. So it's most likely not a typo.

Now, keep in mind that the Overstock item is refurbished. That means that it was returned to the manufacturer for a defect or broken part, repaired and sent back out to sell. There shouldn't be anything wrong with it, just know that you are taking a chance on a laptop that was previously defective.

Edit: Otter, that laptop from Overstock actually isn't a refurb. I went back and checked and the only refurb Asus they have is the F5VL. Personally, I would go with the one from Overstock. The better CPU would be a nice boost.

0tt3r

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Great! I thought it was refurbished because of this:
Pointing Device : Touchpad
Operating System : Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Condition: Mnf. Refurbished
Type of Package: Retail

But, if Asus does not make it refurbished, than it is a great deal, @809.99 now.

Ok, well I would give Overstock a call then. If you do a product search for Asus laptops, the G50 comes up as "new". But after looking harder at the product description that you pointed out it does in fact say "Refurb". I would talk to them and figure out what the deal is.

cutterjohn

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
You can get higher screen res by buying from newegg or elsewhere. The Worst Buy model comes with crippled WXGA screen which will just look awful on a 15" plus you get a crappier 1y warranty unless you pay Worst Buy extra.

The price will be close as well as having a 1y accidental coverage + additional 1y (or is it 2?) parts & labor warranty IIRC.

[EDIT]
Ouch! OOS at newegg, so I smell a new model coming so you may want to wait a bit and/or check the ASUS forum at notebookreview.com.
[/EDIT]