Is there an SSD that will work with any MiniPCIe slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neonpolaris

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I have a Dell Inspiron 1520, and I have three mini-PCIe slots, only one used. I was hoping to add a solid state drive for some storage off my main HD. Just an area for automatic backup in case of sudden HD failure. I see alot of these cards being produced specifically for netbooks, but it looks like the netbooks bring out SATA or PATA lines to the PCIe card connector in a way that a standard laptop does not. Are there cards that have the controller on board and use a standard PCIe interface? Performance isn't an issue, even a USB based card would be fine. I know that there are USB based Expresscards that will work, but my expresscard slot is already used full-time. Thanks guys.

neonpolaris

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Most of the cards that your Google search show interface with the miniPCIe slot in a non-standard way. As I said before, these netbooks bring out the SATA or PATA lines to the miniPCIe connector in a way that normal laptops do not.

When I said that a USB based card would be fine, I meant a miniPCIe card that used the USB lines available on the connector (most cellular cards work this way). I want a card that is always there, internally, not sticking out like a USB flash drive or USB hard drive would be. My goal is for automatic backup that I don't have to remember to use. I don't want to have to plug in a usb device first, but I also don't want a usb device sticking out 100% of the time, ready to snap my port if I get careless.

xin008

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
HI neonpolaris,

I am on the same boat you are in. I don't have a WWAN card, and want to make use of the Mini PCIe slot.

I have ONLY seen Mini PCIe slot with SATA and PATA line SSD. I have never seen Mini PCIe SSD that used USB line. is there one??

I hope somebody can answer our question.... good thing to know I am not the only one.

polocanada

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
And here it's confirmed it works in ports designed for Wifi cards only.. Also includes Encryption. The only thing will be unclear - if the way it connects is USB connectors, then the writing speed will be maxed out at 30mb per second, not the 100mb specs of the drive. It's the USB 2.0 standard has limit. But still better than nothing or having the port empty. Currently I have Intel Turbo Memory there 1GB, Not sure whether the new 4GB models fit, but Intel only works with ReadyBoost and ReadyDrive, so not avail as drive.

Can't wait for the new Samsung cards..

http://www.siliconmadness.com/2009/06/samsung-mini-pcie-ssd.html

neonpolaris

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I was skeptical until I read this:
"... by supplying a SATA II controller + FLASH + CACHE in a single, standard mini-PCIe form factor with the same size as the current WiFi adapters for laptops."

Now all you have to do is make sure your port actually has PCIe lines running to it. Standard mini-PCIe slots have PCIe lines and USB lines. On some laptops, a port may only have USB lines. For example, one of my slots is intended to be used with a cellular card. The mini-PCIe cellular card is USB based. They didn't bother running PCIe lines to that slot, so if I put a PCIe based card into it, nothing will happen.

rc519

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Ok so the last post was in 2010, but I am still having some trouble finding one of these. Where can I find such a card?!?

tomaszjc7

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

I'm looking to upgrade my 2007 24" imac with a mini pcie ssd as well... this is the only thing I could find that will work (see link). There are many "mini pci-e" type card that are physically compatible but not electronically compatible with the 2007 imac - the card must have an INTERNAL sata controller.

However, setting the imac to boot from this drive is an issue i have yet to address. have u done any research on this?

http://www.expansys-usa.com/ocz-technology-64gb-mini-pci-express-solid-state-drive-194597/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS