Down grade Vista to XP on HP dv6000 Pavilion

caconnor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
I want to get rid of Vista from my laptop computer and install a copy of XP. I have a HP dv600 Pavilion. Can someone point me to the thread that will show me step by step on how to do this.
Cheers

Can I ask why? And what your system specs are?

The first thing I would do is go on HP's website and see if they have the XP drivers for that laptop. Some companies that started installing Vista on their laptops don't release XP drivers for them.

caconnor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
It looks like the drivers are available to support the hardware of the dv6000 but HP does not provide them. So I am comfortable in trying to load XP onto my computer.
I been having a lot of problems with Vista and I would be willing to take the chance on getting rid of it.
If I can't find all the drivers to do this downgrading to XP couldn't I just pop in the restore Cd and reload Vista?
If someone has tried this and had seceded in doing so I would like to here your thoughts.
Thanks

caconnor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
I really don't want to get into a debate about Vista being better than XP. I do believe that we should have a choice on what O/S that we want use for personal use.
I was open minded with Vista and after using it for a year I decided that I like XP better and that is why I am looking for advice in downgrading.
In my opinion I think is obvious that Microsoft didn't want people to have the choice of what OS they prefer and has made it very difficult for us to downgrade.
Vista does have a lot of nice features and I'm sure that they will incorporate them into the new Windows 7 that is coming soon. but for now I want to reload XP and would appreciate any advice to help.
Thanks

frozenlead

Distinguished
You have the choice to downgrade to XP, if you want - Microsoft doesn't limit that. Your hardware manufacturer, on the other hand, doesn't want to take time to release drivers for an archaic OS.

If you can find the drivers, XP will work. IMO, Vista is better. But you can't put a price on what you like, I guess.

inspector71

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008

I dont think he was trying to get into a debate with you, he was just asking you what problems you are having. And Windows 7 is already out .

The RC is. The full version comes out in October.

If you really want to get rid of Vista:

1) backup your data, it will be lost otherwise
2) insert the XP disk
3) follow directions, they are pretty straight forward
4) install any device drivers that windows wasn't able to

Hopefully you either have an XP disk that already has SP2 on it or your laptop doesn't have a SATA drive. Otherwise you are going to run into issues where windows won't install.