New laptop...Rid me of buyers remorse!

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Originaly i wanted the amazingly sexy Vaio FW (if you havnt seen it in store yet, go see it. Its a real stunner in white!) but with a three year warrenty and taxes it cost nearly 1700 dollars. So i settled on a Dell Studio 15, which had better components and cost just over 1200 dollars with a 3 year warrenty and after taxes.

194043.jpg

what i wanted

studio_15_green_314.jpg

what i settled on

Do you think this was a good purchase, in terms of bang for the buck? Ease Tipoo's buyers remorse!

Studio 15 Studio 15 Notebook
Processors Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6500 (2.1GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
Memory 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
LCD Panel 15.6” High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera
Video Card 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
Hard Drive Size: 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
System Color Spring Green
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition, 64-bit SP1
Adobe Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9, English/French/Spanish
Combo or DVD RW Drive 8X Slot Load Super Multi (DL DVD /-R Drive RAM support)
Sound High Definition Audio 2.0
Wireless Dell 1510 Wireless-N Card
Office Productivity Software Microsoft® Works 9
Software - Antivirus No Security
Battery 56 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)
Hardware Support Services 3 Year Limited Warranty w/3 Year Return To Depot Service
Processor Labels Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor
Misc 5 No Internet Service Provider requested

Congratulations! You have qualified for $100 savings with your online purchase. - $100.00
Subtotal: $1,083.00
Shipping and Handling: $0.00
Environmental Disposal Fee: $5.00
PST: $0.00
GST/HST: $140.79
Total: $1,223.79

Sales tax sucks.

spfx5150

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I recently went to get a new laptop as well, I loved my Compaq Pasario 2000, But it's health was failing and it was time to renew, I searched hi & low looking for the perfect PC, Wanted kind of smaller, Maybe 14" so I can back pack it and take it to work without to much trouble, So I got tired of driving and shopping and still not finding the perfect Laptop, So one weekend I got the ad's from the Sunday paper and headed to Best Buy, I had certain requirements and so I started to narrow the field, Buy the time I found what I liked it was gonna run about 1,200.00 +, Wow, over a thousand dollars and you know what they say, it will be obsolete as I walk out the door, Then my eye wondered and I spotted it, It was sleek, stylish, smaller in size and just a beauty to look at, It was Mac, Did I say Mac, I don't know how to use a Mac, Or do I, I mean why not, I am no computer wiz, But I do OK, The one I spotted was the Mac Book 13", the one that has the lighted keyboard, Yea I know, It wasn't cheap either, But It just felt that a PC was outdated as I walkout but people I have known with Mac seem to hold onto them for a long time, I have to say I love this thing, It not only looks great with the aluminum case, It works great and as far as learning Mac, No problem, At first I was not a fan of Safari so I used Mozilla, But slowly I have become a fan of Safari, I do occasionally miss some windows applications, but i get by, I can put windows on this as well But,,, I see these little mini laptops at $300.00 to $400.00 and think I may just grab one for my Windows things such as my Garmin maps and PC downloads, Some things just work better and some even only on Windows, Sometimes I too have buyers remorse when I think about the $1.500.00+ I spent on the Mac, But then I set down and do business on it and I fell pretty good, I think I will never go back completly to PC except for as I said just to have the mini PC for the downloads,

G

I wish I had seen your message earlier, I spent $1100 on a FW370 in March, been in the repair shop twice, fist bad IO controller, of course they wiped the disk. then 1.5 months later the disk is bad, waiting to get it back. Also if you get one with integrated Intel 4 series graphics forget playing any real games. Dont get me wrong-for the money the FW had everything I wanted. but two repairs in less than 4 months. So if your Vaio starts to make an occasional sad sounding beep and click from under the touchpad, immediately backup your critical data, because the blue screen of death and no boot will be coming soon. Also am upset with Fry's-i bought a 5 yr warranty, only to have them find some tiny bit of case damage when I went in about the second problem. I didnt damage it, their idiot check in clerk turned it up on side to get serial. But Fry's now says that may negate teh warranty, and I may have to pay to fix case before I can rely on teh warranty being valid. Overall I will never buy another Sony or buy at Fry's.