Any hope for WS-73903 - 8 years old

jgrebe

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
Model: Mitsubishi WS-73903
HDTV Ready - 1080 (this is what it says on the front panel)
Date Mfg: 1999 or before

My 8 year old "HD Upgradable" mitsubishi has the following inputs:

ANT-A (coax)
ANT-B (coax)
Input-1 (S-vid)
Input-2 (S-vid)
Input-3 (S-vid)
Input-4 (component Y,Cr,Cb)

I recently upgraded my DirectTV to HD - so the receiver has two options for output - HDMI and component.

Since my older television does not have HDMI, I tried connecting the component output from the receiver to the component input (Input-4) on the television. The signal comes thru fine but only upto a resolution of 480. If I try to allow the Satellite receiver to send 720 or 1080, the picture gets scrambled -- so i am getting HD channels - but not able to see them in thru high def.

There is a seventh input on the back of the television -- it is called HIGH-DEFINITION INTERFACE and it has five BNC type inputs, labelled R,G,B,H,V. I assume this is the thing that is going to allow me to see a 1080 signal.

So now I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know how to "activate" the HIGH-DEFINITION INTERFACE so I can cycle to it by pressing the "Input" button on the remote?

2. Does anyone know about a hardware device from a company called Key Digital (KD-VA5). It is a device that converts a component input to a R,G,B,H,V output. It costs $350 - and I believe it works -- but will be useless to me unless I can get the television to "see" this seventh input as valid and useable.

I have been on the phone this week with Mitsubishi several times for several hours -- but their customer care and support is not what it used to be -- these folks only know about modern equipment -- and are only as smart as the knowledge base they are searching. In fact I they are the ones who told about the KD-VA5 device. But another analyst told me that the HD Interface was unusable -- then another told me that if I hook up the KD-VA5, that the TV will automatically detect its presence. I think I am close to a solution -- but I don't want to drop the $350 if the HIGH-DEF INTERFACE is unusable.

If anyone out there knows anything about this 8 year old technology -- I would truly appreciate some help.

Thanks
Jim

AggieEngineer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Hello Jim,

The TV should automatically detect the signal but the component-to-component cable cannot carry 1080 signal. You need to use the HDMI-to-component (Y, Cr, Cb) type cable. Fortunately, this type of cable is readily available and doesn't cost $350.

It's unlikely that component-to-RGBHV (from DirectTV box to Mitsubishi TV) will carry 1080 signal either. A HDMI or DVI-to-component (or even the archaic 15-pin VGA type) cable must be used instead.

www.ramelectronics.com may have what you need. Hopefully this helps and do provide updates to this issue.

Stephan

Ken_70

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Hey Jim

I am in the same boat except I purchased the KD-VA5. It still does not work. It looks like the picture is simply out of sync. Did you ever get your to work. If so let me know what you did.

Thanks,
Ken

G

Hi Guy's, Regarding the HD input on the WS73903. Mitsubishi makes an interface. The model # is RGB - CV10. This is needed & when connected
the input will show up. There is a cable that goes between the HDTV ports (TV & Interface) There is also VGA cable between the TV & Interface.
The component feed from the Sat is fed into the interface.

johnl1

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

johnl1

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
I have a WS-73903. When I purchased it, I had to also purchase a misubishi CV-10 adapter. In order to receive 1080 hd. When I went to my cable company. I told him what I had. They gave me a box with a red, blue and green RCA plug on the back of it. Which I attached to red, green, and blue RCA plugs on the back, and the the other end to the back of the cv-10 adapter box. Now from the back of the cv-10 adapter box, I attached a control cable (this cable looks like the one you would use to connect your computer to the computer screen). To the back of the TV.their was also another set of five cables . Each cable was a different color(red, green, blue, white, yellow) each cable had a bnc type connector at each end. I connected each cable to the corresponding color on the back of the cv-10 adapter box in the back of my TV. Then I sent my cable TV box to an HD channel. And press the input