Install Windows XP on laptop w/sata HDD & DVD R/W

sportseins

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 it came loaded Ubuntu Lenix and was trying to install XP any Version they all crashed at the same place during install. Got new HDD un-partition or formatted tried Dos fdisked than formatted now my 160 HDD is barely 2 gig formatted on another CPU as extra stoage just to get it formatted w/NTFS and still showing less than 2gig is there a program or way to make a startup disk from another XP machine to properly fdisk and get the correct partition so I may be able to format the drive or well lets back up to what. I think may be the problem why I cannot load XP from this laptop. Its all Sata, and I have never installed a op. system on a sata drive could this be my main issue an if it is what will be my possible solution. Thanks

ChuckB_38

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Why are you using DOS??? If you have a new HDD you just load XP, the partitioning is part of the install, just answer the questions. The next thing you have to do is get the drivers for XP. Go to the Acer support site and down load the XP drivers for your model. After installing XP install the drivers. I did this on a 5315. no problem.