LCD monitor vs LCD 1080p TV or Plasma

dogonets

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
This is the age old question and I'm just trying to find the right solution.
I'm moving, which seems like a great time to upgrade and consolidate. Mostly I'm talking about my computer monitor and my TV. I'm not a gamer, but I do work with some graphics images- mostly photos. I do a lot of e-mail and web browsing. Those are the big uses for my computer. TV, I watch random shows, some DVD's, thats about it.
I'm looking for a 37 to 42 inch display with good enough resolution to do the stuff on the computer that I do. Will a tv with 1080p give me that quality? LCD or Plasma? or should I stick with an lcd monitor and a tv card?

I know this is rehash to many of you and I'm sorry, but with the constant upgrades in the TV market I thought it was appropriate to ask again. Thanks for any help or information you can provide.

Ellen

Plasma screens are prone to burn-ins from prolonged static images. Gaming and watching movies in full screen will not pose any problems because all images will eventually change or move.

However, simply browsing or using a program can eventually cause burn-ins because the program boarders, menu bars, start menu will always be in the same location, thus eventually causing burn-ins over a prolonged period of time.

LCD screens do not suffer from burn-ins, but they are prone to dead or stuck pixels. Every technology has weaknesses.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
1080p is suitable for light computer duty. I've got a 37" 1080p westy that I've got an HTPC connected to. It's not high enough resolution that I'd want it sitting on a desk right in front of me... but from say 4 feet or more it works fine (I've got it set up as a traditional TV and have a bluetooth keyboard/mouse on a coffee table).

I prefer LCD, but you'll probably want to check out plasm and dlp and pick which one you like.