looking for a new digital camera

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I know a little about digital cameras. I'm looking into getting a good camera. What i'm not looking for is a slr because I don't need anything that good. I'm looking for a camera that is between a point and shot and a slr. A 12x optical zoom or more that takes good pictures, a fast processor speed so that way I dont have to wait very long to take another picture, and takes good pics in low light and a camera that can take pictures with fast moving objects or people without no blur, but without compromising picture quality.

I hear that canons are good brand, sony and panasonic. Which do you guys or gals recommend. I hear a lot of good things about canon, but my experiences with them is they take a longer to take pictures in between shots which I dont really like. Plus they are generally more expensive. If you guys got some opinions I would like to hear them. Thanks

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
The Panasonic FZ18 that has an 18x optical zoom is getting good reviews as does the Canon S5, I think that's the designation, which has 12x optical zoom. Google "digital camera reviews" there are some very good sites that review camera and most will give you information about different things to look for and definitions. I'm planning on getting the Panasonic.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005

I was looking at the pany digi cam and I noticed when your zoomed all the way to 18x, theirs a lot of noise. Pany's are pretty good but I think when it comes to picture quality not the best.

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
We have an older, maybe 4 years, pany digital camcorder and has been great, although we don't do a lot of really long zooms with it. The biggest knock against pany digital cameras, at least the Super Zooms, is the noise you get in lower lighting, which starts at ISO 200 but gets much worse above 400. The advantage of the FZ18 is it allows you to shoot RAW, which eliminates much of this problem. Looking forward to seeing how much difference there is between jpeg and RAW. We have a higher end pocket size Casio so my plans for the FZ18 would be to use it mostly for long distance and wider angle shots. I guess the noise in lower lighting is inherent in all digital cameras

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I too am looking. I currently run an hp m415 I got for free after getting zapped just existing within itself in bad weather (my guess) anyway, aside from being mind blowing p[recise with photos for a cost of nothing...

a consideration for a new camera is thinking of other stuff you are running. IE, I just got a panasonic sdr-s10 mpeg2 camcorder, and found the panasonic lumix series still cameras have same battery and charger. Knowing to keep vids and stills away from each other, this is a better integration for me personally of both worlds.
something to consider...

G

Hi guys, I recently bought Canon PowerShot A650 IS Digital Camera for my mom. It has 12.1 mega pixels resolution and we can also have blur-free images from it in low light also. It’s really a great camera, and the cost is also reasonable. I bought it from http://www.checkcost.co.uk/digital-cameras/c/4368/sortby/price%20low/pageindex/0/ at just $200

camerareviews07

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I would recommend Canon Powershot SD750. It's a great digital camera. It's compact, big 3" screen, great Video capture, lot's of great presets, and a pretty easy to figure out features.