T7200 running only at 1GHz

AceCobra1

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Hi all,

I recently bought a used Dell M2010. For some reason, the processor runs only at 1GHz according to the BIOS and Windows. It says T7200 @ 2GHz but running at 1GHz... Since the M2010 is effectively a desktop with almost 0 chance of battery useage, is there a way to make it run 2GHz constantly and how come it only shows 1GHz? Is that normal?

Thx :hello:

Most likely SpeedStep is enable in the BIOS. When you turn your system on hit F8 or whatever button will send you into the BIOS menu. Under the CPU or power section there should be an option to turn Intel EST on/off. Turn it off.

What speedstep does is throttle your CPU down when you aren't putting a heavy load on it. As soon as you start running a program though, it should kick back to full power.

AceCobra1

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Thanks for the reply but it says when I am in the bios that if I disable speedstep, it will run at the minimal speed? Is that correct? Or if I disable it that it will run at max speed but obviously eat up the battery which is not a problem when the behmoth is 8.3kg anyway, so it isn't going to be a 'lap' top :lol: