Solved! Coolest laptop (lowest temperature on the back) 15" or 16" general use

Status
Not open for further replies.

valko665

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Hi,

I am looking for the Coolest laptop - literally (lowest temperature on the back) 15" or 16" general use?

For me that is the most inportant usability feature and I wonder why moist of the sites, like Tomshardware do not publish that important information?

Some conspiray maybe? Intel and all manufacturers promote high power consuming heat producing monsters...

cheers

Valko665 (the neighbor of the beast) :lol:

Solution
You're being unrealistic. Tom's shouldn't benchmark notebook (notebook because they aren't designed for use on your lap) temperatures. That would be ridiculous, and a waste of time. There are at least 30 models of notebooks from every major manufacturer. Then they release new models every 6 months or so. That's an ungodly amount of data that doesn't even culminate to anything significant. Having tons of temperatures of tons of notebooks tells you what? All the designs are different. There won't be any correlation. The only usefulness that bench would be for someone to lookup the specific model of the notebook they're thinking of buying to look at the temps. Yay. It would be just stupid to do that for every model.

See, tom's has...

frozenlead

Distinguished
The reason there's no information on this is pretty simple. All notebooks are proprietary. From model to model, year to year, designs change. There's no standard in the field. In order to document which notebooks are better than others, you would need to benchmark all models of every series of every manufacturer. Then, once you had that data, the next generation of notebooks to be released would have next to none similarities - so all of the data would be pretty much useless.

There's no real way to tell which notebooks will be cooler than others other than to look at them through experienced eyes.

valko665

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
common guys 1 dodgy answer from 1.4 million members, you could do better could you?

you've got to be kidding me, the notebook design may be unique, but the temperature on the bottom is real and can be measured easily, and in fact I have seen on some places that temperature published, not on tomsharwadre though :pfff:

the laptops temperature is major ergonomics and health factor if you use it on the laps and I still cannot beleive nobody from "independent" hardware research companies like tomshardware do not care to piblsih this to the benefit of the users :sleep:

Reactions: DevinHayes

frozenlead

Distinguished
You're being unrealistic. Tom's shouldn't benchmark notebook (notebook because they aren't designed for use on your lap) temperatures. That would be ridiculous, and a waste of time. There are at least 30 models of notebooks from every major manufacturer. Then they release new models every 6 months or so. That's an ungodly amount of data that doesn't even culminate to anything significant. Having tons of temperatures of tons of notebooks tells you what? All the designs are different. There won't be any correlation. The only usefulness that bench would be for someone to lookup the specific model of the notebook they're thinking of buying to look at the temps. Yay. It would be just stupid to do that for every model.

See, tom's has CPU and GPU parts because companies make a lineup of a few products that can be used in thousands of different systems - but all the systems will show basically the same correlation. Why? Because the designs are the same.

Where have you seen the temperature of every model notebook ever made published? I'd like to see that one. When it exists. Tom's isn't even a research company. It's a tech news site.

The bottom line is - if you use your notebook on your lap, and you cover the heat vents (or it has a lack thereof to begin with) it's going to get hot. It's not going to kill you, and I doubt it's going to burn you (and if you let it burn you, you're an idiot). If you leave the vents open, it should stay cool enough.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.