I hope My laptop can still work :(

celine-j

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I have a Gateway 2005 laptop. In the power outlet on my laptop the prong inside where u plug the power cord into the computer has broken off and is stuck in the power cord. It cannot be reattached and I was wondering if I could power my laptop my using the USB ports. I was wondering if there was a way to get a power cord where it plugs into the wall and converts the energy to be recieved my laptop to power the computer and the cord would plug into the USB ports. I don't want to lose my computer because of this little inconvenience. So please reply with an answer to my problem because I don't know what to do. :(

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you'll have to get a replacement power jack and adapter. Depending on how old the laptop is it might not even be worth it to replace it as it will cost more than simply buying new.

frozenlead

Distinguished
It's actually very cheap (less than $5) to replace the jack yourself, provided you have the tools and know-how to do so. You'll need a soldering iron/desoldering iron, and a new jack you can purchase at radio shack.