Upscaling DVD player quality question

dman777

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
IF I got an upscaleing DVD player for my Standard Definition movies, would they look as good on a Plasma as they do on a CRT? I'm not looking for good picture HD quality on a Plasma, I'm looking for good picture Standard Definition quality on a Plasma.

deardeath

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I work in the HT department in my local bestbuy (I am not the ignorant salesman trying to push useless shit down your throat)

Anyways, I am assuming your plasma is much bigger than your CRT therfore the "upscaling" should help abit to compensate displaying on a larger screen. Dont forget that your limited by the DVD it's self which is recorded in 480p.

What will give you the best image quality on your plasma is a good upscaling dvd player, not some shitty ass one like a Prima. It's really the chip inside the DVD upscaling DVD player which will make the image quality difference.

I personaly recomend the Samsung 1080p model DVD-HD960 , even though your plasma doesnt support 1080p, the engine in it does quiete a good job at upscaling.

On top of that the Samsung 1080p model comes with a free HDMI cable, which is pretty cool.

Jodym2

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I have a up scaling DVD Player connected Via DVI to my 32" Sony HI-Scan CRT I can't tell a differance with upconverting. I believe my TV upconverts the image any way so I see no differance.