ASUS EEE XP Home to Pro With Network shared drive

jasonjjn

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I want to upgrade my EEE PC to XP Pro. I have the XP home it came with already installed. (EEE doesn't have a CD drive BTW)
I CAN read the XP Pro CD from my desktop optical drive over the LAN and hit install.
But if I hit upgrade to XP Pro after reboot is it going to ask me to put the CD in a local optical drive that is not there?
Or does it not need the CD after reboot?
I have forgotten all the steps that the CD has to be in the drive for.
So my question is when doing an upgrade from xp home to pro at any point does it have to boot of the cd?

frozenlead

Distinguished
You can't use a network drive to install windows like that. You'll need to do a windows network installation if you don't have an external CD drive, and I've heard it's not very friendly to do. I've always found a way around it.

Why do you want to upgrade? XP pro doesn't bring much more to the table than home does.

jasonjjn

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

XP Home doesn't have NTFS data encryption, Net password saving, advanced file sharing.

I have yet to find a workable way to file share with XP home with a password.

So if i hit install what will happen? I am going to test it out after imaging my drive some time.

frozenlead

Distinguished
After hitting install on the application the setup CD brings in windows? It will just reboot your computer and attempt to boot the computer from the CD. Then, since it won't find a CD, it'll just boot you back to windows.

jasonjjn

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

What if I put XP Pro on a bootable USB drive? will it detect that? Or does it only detect CD-ROM?

frozenlead

Distinguished
I've never done it before, but it may work. You need to be sure your machine can boot from a USB drive before you begin - else, you're stuck.

http://www.idglabs.com/2009/05/16/install-xp-from-usb-prepare-bootable-usb-drive-with-usb_multibootcmd/

jasonjjn

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

Yes it can boot from USB drive.

I actually found this article too, but yours looks more detailed so I am going to try that out.

http://www.liliputing.com/2008/04/install-windows-xp-on-mini-note-usb.html

Thanks for the info