Advice: Best 13" laptop for my needs?

mayan50

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide on which new laptop to pick up, and I'm in an indecisive state due largely to a disaster with the Dell Studio XPS 13. It seemed to fit the bill, but sure enough the concerns out there that I ignored (excessive heat, crashes, BSODs, etc) all came true within minutes of booting. So it has been returned.

So here are my needs:

1. 13" seems to be the perfect size for me, for travel, but comfort in typing and viewing.

2. My primary app is Stata, statistical analysis software, so I need a fairly fast dual-core with at least 3-4 GB of ram (accessible so I need 64-bit Vista).

3. I am not a gamer, but do like a nice bright screen.

4. I do like a nice looking system for business (note: for instance I don't like HP's new flowery external look).

5. Budget: 800-1300 range.

Now I'm thinking: Aspire 3935, going to the tried-but-true Dell MP1330, or something else...

Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

mayan50

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
1_What is your budget?
800-1300

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
12<x<14
3_What screen resolution do you want?
whatever, just not grainy.
4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable with good solid computing power
5_How much battery life do you need?
Enough to last a good solid flight, say 4 hours.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No, I have no time for games :)

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
Statistical processing, dual core minimum, 3-4 GB ram needed.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Hmmm, probably 128 GB is sufficent, don't need much here.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
Open to suggestions.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2 solid years.

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm not wed to anyone anymore.

13_What country do you live in?
USA
I hope this can help people to better find their ideal notebook.

John Charles

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
DO NOT buy a SONY VIAO notebook. I have three that are no more than 14 months old each and I now use all of them as "door stops.' They broke with no abuse and little use. Sony service is awful. 1 1/2 week for the diagnosis, 3 to 4 weeks repair and absorbent cost! I suggest you look at and Asus 13". Great value for the money. A little heavy at 4.+ lbs. Another notebook to look into is the Toshiba Protege: R500. Solid state hard drive.