Spontaneous Power Off

socratitties

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I'm running a two year old Acer Aspire 5610z. It runs well, normally. I have a second screen hooked up to it and run both simultaneously.

Once in a while the computer shutsdown without warning, staying off. I can hear that the fan is working but wonder if this is a heat issue? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

socratitties

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
So I'm showing 90celcius/190farenheit on all three sensors.... I'm guessing this is better for cooking my muffins than keeping my laptop happy?

frozenlead

Distinguished
Nah, you can't really damage anything by shooting air. Just get the nozzle in the vents on the bottom of your notebook, and blow the air so it heads out the vents in the side of the notebook. Then reverse what you just did, blowing air in the side vent. You should get a pretty significant dust cloud.

socratitties

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I ran Everest's system stability test. As soon as I open more programs the temp just shoots up. I then looked at the tab titled FAN. I have no stats there. It has a graph for RPM yet I register nothing. Thing is, I can hear the computer working and the sounds changing at times and if I lift it up and check out the circular port/grate I can feel a slight draft of air and make the pitch change by putting my hand over it. So wouldn't one think the fan is working? Going to buy compressed air this afternoon.

socratitties

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Sprayed her out and the dust bunnies scampered. As it stands now my 'pooter sounds better and the temp went from 90c to 45c! I was surprised how effective this was. I can see the fan spinning, still a little curious why Everest doesn't register my fan rpm but whatever, it's much improved. Thanks a lot for the help!

frozenlead

Distinguished
Notebook motherboard technology isn't standard, I'm not surprised it doesn't detect them. Nevertheless, it's great you got her working again. Remember to do this about every year or so.