Confused over notebooks with wireless for overseas use

suchanewb

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I wanted to buy a notebook to take to Europe with me and surf the next while there. The guy at Office depot said that the notebooks come with a lan card but you have to buy a monthly service (like you do for a cell phone) in order to use wireless overseas - even if your hotel offers free wireless. Is this guy correct or crazy? What type of lan card should I look for in a notebook so I can use the free wireless? Sorry the post is so long. Thanks.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
The guy is just blowing smoke up your butt honestly. If the hotel you will be staying at offers free wifi access then you don't need to buy anything extra. Only time he would be correct is if you were somewhere where there was say 3G access but no wifi You then WOULD have to buy a 3G card and pay a monthly service fee to a cell provider plus pay for the fact you're using it overseas to get internet service over 3G there. Honestly probably more hassle then it's worth. If you're on vacation leave the internet at home. Unless you run a company and people MUST be in contact with you 24/7 most things on the net can wait.