Avendesora

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I am looking to buy a new TV. I have digital cable in another room, but will probably just have regular cable hooked up to this TV. I am lloking for something around 30" or so. It will mainly be used for regular TV, DVDs, and the Nintendo Wii. Is it worth getting an HDTV? I want to get a flat panel TV, because they are easier to deal with, moving wise. I may be making this up, but I thought I read somewhere that sometime soon all TVs will need to be HDTVs, or HDTV compatible, or something like that. Is that true? Can you reccommend a good, flat panel, HDTV if its worth it, fairly inexpensive set? I don't really have a budget, but I am not spending thousands of dollars on a TV. Thanks.

If you are only going to use regular cable, then no HD is not worth it. On regular cable you will not get any HD programming thus rendering your HD capable TV neer useless(ok maybe not useless, but the reason you spend more money is for the ability to watch HD shows). As far as a TVs needing to be HD compatible, I highly doubt it. It would force thousands of people to buy new TVs. This Samsung seems pretty nice: Samsung 32'' LCD

Panasonic and Sony seem to get the best reviews, though I dislike Sony as a company.
Hope this helps

Also, the website I linked can be used to find ratings on hundreds of TVs. I recommend you use it, it will help a lot.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I may be making this up, but I thought I read somewhere that sometime soon all TVs will need to be HDTVs, or HDTV compatible, or something like that. Is that true?

In 2009, if the currently-enacted US laws hold, analog TV transmissions in the US will cease. If you are using cable TV and a set-top box, you may not even notice.

The requirement for over-the-air reception won't be that you need an HDTV compatible set, but rather that you need a DTV (digital TV) compatible set.

All sets sold in the US over a certain size (26"? Anyone?) are mandated by law to have DTV tuners in them, for over-the-air reception of DTV signals. Smaller sets will face the same requirement this summer.

Reference: Scientific American, most-recent edition.

Please note that laws are subject to change. Congress has already changed them once or twice.