Upgrading Hard Drive on my VAIO

Nitrom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
I have a 3 year old VAIO VGN FE790 Lap Top. Has a Fujitsu 5400 RPM SATA 100 Gigs HDD.

WIll like to replace with a WD or Seagate 100 gigs 7200 RPM SATA (which have faster seek times).
I am sure cache is bigger in the newer HDD's.

Sony tech Support space cadets tell me NOT to upgrade HDD and that Sony does not support any HDD upgrade. I don't care.

I just will like to know if there are known issues in this operation .

To Install the OS and partitions I am going to use the Sony Recovery disk which does have everything needed provided that the HDD is the same size which in this case will be.(100 gigs)

Comments will be appreciated.

Nitrom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
Thanks for your input Frozenlead.

However...at Sony tech support they tell me that installing a larger HDD will lead to problems of the following kind:

The only way to reinstall the OS in a new HDD is via the Recovery Diks which I have. Those disks contain data that are set for a HDD of a specific size (in my case 100 Gb Hdd) and if I try to use those Disks on a larger HDD will run into unpredictable problems (according to tech support).

One of the problems according to them will be the partitions that came from the factory.

I wonder if they tell me this to force me to buy only Sony products or it is true

frozenlead

Distinguished
That may be true, but I really, really doubt it.

Anyway, if you want to be safe, go to Sony's site and download all the drivers for your notebook. Then use bittorrent to download a copy of the OEM version of windows you need. Burn it to a cd/dvd and use the key on the bottom of your notebook to activate it.

Your notebook will come out faster than the recovery CDs could make it, and you skip the mess with the hard disk sizes.

This is also completely legal, so don't worry about that part.

G

Hi Can you please send the recovery disc data in a zip folder to my mail id smiey.alwin@gmail.com
I dont have recovery discs for this model and im having hell of poblems with my computer and i want to re install windows again............. Please send it, apprecaite your help. thanks smiley

TRENDING THREADS