HTPC / Gamer PC Requirements (Questions) will this work?

jaeger

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004
Hi Everyone,

Ill start with my requirements from the system, if you could answer my questions that would be great.

1. Whilst i want my PC to be a HTPC, i would also like it to be a Gaming PC also... (this means sound system and video are linked directly to the HTPC for this purpose)

2. I was also wanting to connect a 30 inch LCD monitor (Apple HD Cinematic Display) that i have to the HTPC/Gaming system... Am i able to do this and still receive the same functionality? (i am assuming normal HTPC's usually couple with LCD TVs or of the like)

3. I had wanted to plug in a few peripherals to the system,, like an Xbox - am i correct in assuming that an SD Tuner card would be able to take the input from the Xbox (as long as it has composite input)? what if i wanted to plug in more peripherals to this system, would i need another tuner card? im not sure how these interact with the MCE (as i have never used it)

4. Can i use more than one tuner card? For example, HDTV Tuner, SD TV Tuner, + more) how does MCE see these??

5. For my entire Home entertainment system, i wanted the audio and video to be run through the HTPC/Gaming PC - If i was to connect other peripherals to the HTPC how would the sound be able to go through the PC? I would be using Computer speakers (the Creative 7.1s)

Thanks for your time,

Best Regards,
Alexander.

noriveia

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
Well assuming you have a Home Theatre as your are building a "Home Theatre PC" if you just want a pc connected to a Apple 30" thats just a normal PC. But if you do indeed have a home theatre then you should use you receiver to switch between your htpc and xbox. but if you are just wanting to use your xbox on your PC then you just need a tv in card. but you will lose video and sound quality doing that.