So I spilled milk over my laptop...

bakalhau

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008
Laught all you want. This happenned yesterday and now my laptop's messed up. This is an old HP PC, it has 512mb of RAM, a 9600pro and a 1,6ghz processor.

So I spilled milk on it yesterday, I cleaned it on the surface (even though I think some of the milk went through the keyboard's fissures) and I shut it down. Next thing the computer is turning itself on and off every 5 seconds. It turns on, shuts down 5 seconds later, and then turns back on and off. Rinse and repeat. I left it alone until it ran out of battery. I plugged it this morning so it could charge and then I tried turning it on... The problem is not this though. The problem is the monitor is just black all the way. It just doesn't turn on. I've tried 150 times, no luck. I tried displaying the image through a vga cable on my 22" monitor and nothing... The pc itself seems to be fine, as the "cpu is working" little green light flashes and the pc makes the usual little noise as it works... What now? Is it ruined for good? I need this computer up and running no matter what...

frozenlead

Distinguished
By leaving the machine on while it was going nutso, you probably fried your motherboard/GPU. You should have simply shut it down and let the milk dry up for a few days, and you probably would have been okay.

Take it apart and clean it up. That's really all you can do.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
I'll agree with frozenland. You're probably buggered as far as getting it to work now goes. You should start socking away for a new machine cause I can tell ya repairs will be worth more than the market value of the machine.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
Hey,

I worked in a repair place that dealt with problems like yours (we got beer, tea, coffee, milk, cat pee and more). 9/10 the user left it on while they were trying to dry it out and like frozenlead said, it fried the board.

You're looking at the cost of a new mobo plus whatever the repair people mark it up to (the place I worked was local and so, really good about not being too mean with mark ups) PLUS the cost of installation, which not a lot of places like doing.

You're best of getting a new machine. You'll be able to get one comparable to your old one (or better) cheaply enough, I'd imagine.

Laskatoo

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012

i spilled a full cup of coffee(extra large tims) on my acer aspire 7741-6694 http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386965,00.asp in november. needless to say it shut down. i didnt try to start it up, i put it away to dry out for a couple of months between 2 pillows, didnt know about the rice trick or i would have done that. so anyway one day i decided to try it and it started up. this was about a week ago. i even formatted it. so great but then yesterday it started acting up again. i turned it on and as soon as it got to the acer screen it would shut down. so i hit the orange button on the back so it wouldnt run on the battery(with this laptop it doesnt have the standard battery. so if i flip the orange thing one way it doesnt detect the battery and flipped the other way it charges the battery and runs off of power too. when i first tried to start it up after i shut it down for the first time i had a problem as well and thats when i tried flipping it and it worked and didnt detect battery. now tonight it started up and ran for about 2 hours then it shut down on me. i must add that when it would boot to the acer screen and shut down, i tried booting it up and as soon as i saw the acer screen i hit f10 and it went to he black screen that i could choose windows 7 and it continued to work. tonight that wont work. and as i said, it worked tonight for about 2 hours and didnt appear to be running hot. any suggestions?

BlueBubba

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Someone Help ASAP

I was playing on my Compaq Presario CQ61 and I too also accidently spilled milk (not alot) on my keyboard. It works fine and everything (Thank God) except for the space bar, and Left shift key. What should I do becuase I'm kinda getting fed up with using the virtual keyboard to type :(

Please respond back,

BlueBubba