S-Video problem.

wilen27

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
I have a HP Compaq Presario F700 laptop. I wish to view the videos I have on the laptop, on my TV. There is a 7 pin S-Video out socket on the laptop, to which I have connected a cable with the appropriate fitting. The other end of cable (3 jacks - white, red and yellow) I have connected to the inputs on my TV (a modern LCD machine). I play the video on the laptop, but no response on the TV. The TV inputs are labelled EXT-4. I have switched to EXT-4, but - nothing. Do I need any software to enable the S-Video out, on the laptop, or should it be functional when the video is playing on the monitor?
I also have a DVD recorder with appropriate inputs, but can get no response on this either. Any help would be much appreciated. wilen27.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Using the DVD recorder as a test was a good idea. The problem is either your cable or the notebook.

Are you sure you have s-video output enabled correctly, first? The computer won't do it by default, most often.

There's no real way to test if your cable is good or not, so let's skip that.

Some notebooks do not allow a conversion from s-video to component output, I've found. That may be the case.