Gateway FX Edition for gaming laptop?

chamfort

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
I all, Im in the market for a laptop to take on the road now that storm chasing season is almost underway but also to play games on when my friends get together to network. Currently the only game Im playing online is WoW so I want a laptop to handle that at full settings but we do play other games for networking like Serious Sam and CoD4 and such but i would like to try out Fallout3.

I would like your opinions on this Gateway laptop which seems like a good deal for what you all get.....http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9172511&type=product&id=1218043606827

This will be my first laptop purchase so I want to get somethign that will be good down the road 6 yrs from now while also trying to stay around $1,200 or lower.

My brother told me about this Asus http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9173262&type=product&id=1218044029168 which he thinks is plenty good for gaming.

What do you guys think? Is there another brand to think about...Dell or something in that range?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

JulBranch

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
I have been using this laptop for about 2 months and love it. It plays games like a desk top, and doesn't get real hot. The battery last only 2.5 hours but has a 17 inch screen. Another thing, it don't come with hardly any software, so very good on system resources. Being 17 inch the laptop is heavy, 9 pounds.

chamfort

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009

ya, ive been hearing good reviews about this laptop as well. Do you use a cooling fan beneath the latop to help with the cooling or does it cool really good without one? I dont care about the weight, its not like i'll be playing games with a 17" strapped to my neck. hehehe

chamfort

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009

And why does this crush anything in its price range? What's this got that the others dont have? Can you give some examples on how it out-performs some other brands? How well built are these things...anyone having any issues?

frozenlead

Distinguished
The Gateway you're looking at has an 9800mGTS, which is one of the highest cards you see on more mainstream notebooks - but the NP5793 carries the 9800mGTX, which is the highest card in the 9 series that nvidia makes. It will outdo any other card in the series by a good margin.

Sager/Clevo notebooks are considered to be some of the best in the business in terms of performance, stability, and quality (but not necessarily portability). Most people (including myself) swear by them.

And it's $1200.

Edit: I just checked Sager's site and it seems they've changed it. It only carries the 9800mGTS now, and the price has gone up to $1299 - seems like supply is dwindling. However, due to the Sager's quality, you can probably overclock the GPU a pretty decent amount (which I wouldn't even dream of attempting on the gateway..). There are a few people here on this forum running OC'd Clevo notebooks built off of the 5793.

chamfort

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009

I dotn think i'd attempt overclocking on the cpu, i sure wouldnt want to mess anything up or overheat and break it. How load do these machines run while gaming and ho0w is the cooling on them...do you need an additional cool fans?