Opinions needed on problem with brand new notebook

slowe

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
I just purchased an HP Pavilion dv7-1232nr Entertainment Notebook PC. The specs for this machine are at:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01634428&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3866477

My problem is that when I took the machine out of the box and turned it on it started to make a noise (similar to the noise made when you save to a floppy disk). After a few seconds it stopped and everything seemed OK. I then went through the start up procedure, registering, etc. for the notebook.

Once it finished that I decided to make a set of recovery disks before uninstalling some of the trial versions of software. While going through the recovery disks steps I got an error message saying I couldn't do this because my machine does not have anything to burn CD's with (which it is supposed to).

To make a long story short after 2.5 hours on the phone with HP support and me taking out & resetting the CD drive the computer finally recognized it was there. During this process tech support had me turn the machine off 12-15 times by holding the power button down.

When the CD drive was finally recognized HP support had me recover the system to the original factory settings. After I did that everything seemed OK, I plugged in to my DSL internet connection and Windows downloaded 24 updates and installed them.

The computer said it needed to be restarted which I did. But when it finally booted up all I got was a dark gray (almost black screen) with nothing. Not even the cursor. (This happened at least 5 times when I was on the phone with tech support also.)

The only way I had to turn it off was by pressing the power button once again (this was the only time I did it on my own without being promted by tech support).

I would like to know if you think it would be a good idea to continue with tech support to try to get the problem fixed, or if you think I may have more serious problems and should return the notebook.

Thanks in advance for any input on this problem.

cheaptofix

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
take it to a repair shop near you, take your disks and ask them (please do a format then reinstall the vista inclduing all drivers) this is easy and wont cost much and saves you time and hassle. support over the phone is useless because hp is looking at a manual not looking at your laptop is doing