Hp pavilion dv6000 problems

cheaptofix

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
just because your friends did it, or you heard others saying it doesn't mean you have to do it. stick with vista man, it lasts longer and its smarter than xp when it comes to problems.vista repairs itself most of the times and if it came with your laptop it means hp really thought about it 10 times before selling it to you.

sim4

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Thanks... I'm still having trouble with Vista.....my browers stop working after a while. I have to reboot. Any solutions????

frozenlead

Distinguished
Just because your browser stops working, doesn't mean it's Vista's fault.

What browser are you using? Where are you going when it crashes? What else do you do on the computer when it crashes?

sim4

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
i am using firefox and have used IE and they both do it. I go on line and in about 20 minutes the browser stops. It just sits and waits for the page to download. I have to reboot to get it going again.

cheaptofix

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
if they both do it its to do with the connection because if no connection, no internet. not with an interface, it could be a virus like frozen said and it could be a program interfearing with it, makesure you have Java, flash player and C++ installed. use IE 7 not 8.

vezenro1

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009

Hello, After a month of fixing problems on Vista with this HP DV6000 I am almost at a breaking point. I have gone through this tremendous task of replacing Vista on a different laptop and I want to avoid that hell if possible.
However, after a month of trying to get my computer to be able to install software that needs to contact back to the internet, with no luck, I'm ready to give up. I don't even have virus software anymore because it expired and I can not install a new one. As soon as the install tries to register itself back to the vendors website, it says no internet connect! Everything does this, except IE and windows updates, which I had to turn off because the latest one breaks IE every time it runs.

I know this is not a hardware issue, but this is the thread that most relates to my situation and you seem to know something about Vista being worth hanging with. Can you help me?
Robert

frozenlead

Distinguished
It sounds like you've got a firewall blocking all your connections - Windows firewall has exceptions built in for windows update and IE by default. Try adding more exceptions or just disabling the firewall.

Don't shut off Windows update! Updates are there for a reason, to fix things!
Don't use IE. Download Firefox and you'll never go back.

Also, Antivirus software is free, if you know where to get it. Google "AVG free" and you'll find software to your liking.

vezenro1

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Should I use quick reply, reply to ... or add a reply? I used quick reply this time.

I wish it was that easy. I've been working on this for over a month. I've tried everything I have seen. Add exceptions to and turn off Firewall, but no good.

I have new virus software, and many other software programs I'd like to install, but they all fail when the try to connect back to the internet. The browser is really the only thing that connects to the internet.

This is some networking problem with Vista.
Thanks for tring.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Vista is functioning normally, which is proven by IE being able to connect to the internet. Some other software is preventing everything else from doing do. It sounds like you've done a lot of attempted installs and such, and things may be a little out-of-order. Why don't you try formatting and start over? That way you can be sure of what is set to what and such.

Edit: Did you download Firefox? That would also be a sure-fire test to prove/disprove Vista's potential malfunctioning. Also, are you sure you are actually connected to the internet?

vezenro1

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Yes, I am sure I am conected to the internet, proven by the fact that I am typing this message.
I have done a system recovery back to factory. I will install firefox as soon as I finish this message. That way when Vista does it's updates and breaks IE I'll still be able to browse.

If Vista is functioning normally I want XP. I have taken an XP laptop all across this country and connected to wireless networks without these problems. Vista even hooked to the wire still will not communicate out. i.e software installs, Photobucket up loads, Itunes ect.

Pinging google.com [74.125.67.100] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 10.2.71.1: Destination net unreachable.
That is the problem that I can not solve. Maybe even the router is not Vista friendly. If you google Vista and connection problems you will see there are 100's of different issues. I have tried many of them to no avail.

frozenlead

Distinguished
There are just as many issues with XP if you google the same thing - there's not much substance to that arguement.

However, I recommend you do not reinstall Windows from the factory settings. If there's some application the manufacturer installed that's preventing all this (a firewall seems most likely), installing Windows from a fresh OEM version will cure that. Vista has no previsions for blocking certain types of connections and programs...only Windows firewall does (which is a part of XP, too).

Have you installed XP on this machine before and used it with success? I suppose we can't rule out a malfunctioning network card, but that seems incredibly unlikely.

Also, with your antivirus and other software down (and apparently no presence of a firewall to block specific connections) malware seems also a likely culprit for your problems. The clean OEM install should fix that, but if you want (and have another computer), you can always do a third-party scan.

On another note, has the machine always done this from when you pulled it out of the box?

vezenro1

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
XP had problems too, I was just used to solving those. I like it better, but one day I'll complain about whatever and say the same about Vista.

This computer came with Vista. I had it a long time before I tried to install anything that had to register itself and I never tried to use itunes until now so I don't know when the problem started.

Althought I still can not ping google or anything else outside, I can now actually install the software I needed. This was accomplished by the factory recovery option.

It is unfortunate that this does not tell anyone what actually was causing the problem, but after such a long time and the need for virus software I had no choice. However, after windows does all it's updates from as far back as last May, it might make it stop working and then I will know where the problem is.

Thank you for your help.

johnnyblack

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
i installed xp on my dv6000 and it runs wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy faster than it did with vista and im so glad i did it. you can find all the drivers that you need just look around on the net or the hp site. I havent had any problems since. Vista was slower than a snail despite how many "features" it had..even with 3 gigs of ram.

HOMEMOM41

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009

I tried adding more exceptions and when I tried to install Firefox, it would not let me. It said "cannot establish a connection to the server" to the page that I am trying to get on. Got any suggestions?

Apocalypse7

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

i have an HP pavilion DV6000 1125ee with ATI mobility 4650 , i was wondering where i can find the XP graphics driver for it.