Oldswole

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
Looking for a 50'+ LCD or 60'+ DLP for around $3000.00. Which is the better buy LCD or DLP for watching tv/ as well as my computer monitor. Not purchasing til after christmas so prices should drop and if any1 knows about anything else coming out that might be betetr let me know.
Thanks

the_taker

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
are you looking for 50-60 feet? :p I'm sure you mean inches.

I don't know about TV's, but I was working with various projectors every week for presentations, and for movie watching, I found that the DLP projectors were much sharper picture for movie watching, the LCD projectors were a lot grainier like i was watching them on a bad TV or monitor. I think DLP will be the same in Projection/Flat-screen TV's, but I could be wrong. Take that for what it's worth.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Looking for a 50'+ LCD or 60'+ DLP for around $3000.00. Which is the better buy LCD or DLP for watching tv/ as well as my computer monitor. Not purchasing til after christmas so prices should drop and if any1 knows about anything else coming out that might be betetr let me know.
Thanks

Get a good quality LCD. DLP still have some screen door effect, and the angle of view is still crap in my opinion. Go to best buy or circuit city. Look at a dlp. If your a little to the right, left, little high or low you get the screen door effect. To me DLP sucks because of those reasons. But if that doesn't bother you get the dlp because they are cheaper. But if it does go with a LCD. Stick with higher end brand names. For LCD, Samsung, LG, sony and I think Pioneer. I got a plasam 42 panasonic. th-42px60u.

makaveli03

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2003
Thanks

Size isn't always the most important thing. Check out the Sharp Aqous 42 or 46 inch in 1080p for LCD the picture is absurd i think they run between 2400-3500 right now so who knows after the holiday. I don't know too much about DLP. I have the sony 42 lcd projection and i tell you what its a great tv for 1300 but i shouldve held out and saved more and waited for x-mas or after. anyway just my 2 cents....

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I've read some negative reviews about the new 62-series Sharps (42", 46", 52") on CNET: http://reviews.cnet.com/Sharp_LC_46D62U/4505-6482_7-32069030.html?tag=txt. If you see one in person and you don't observe these issues, please post back as I would consider the 52" set for myself if I could have any assurance of quality. Also, be aware that the 45-series (e.g. LC45GD7U) might have issues receiving a 1080p signal over HDMI, and will not accept one over VGA.

I'm very ticked off at Sony at the moment after their rootkit escapade :evil: and their insistence on pushing blu-ray instead of reaching consensus with the HD-DVD camp :x , but I also would have a hard time recommending anyone else's LCD HDTV - or DLP, for that matter. Their LCD TVs really do have decent scalers for SDTV (though your GPU's might still be better), and do receive and show true 1080p. As for their DLP TVs, I can only go by my observations in stores that theirs appear to have better viewing angle performance than most other DLPs I looked at. I still wouldn't get a DLP, but for your size and price range it might be the best option depending on the seating arrangement in your room / space. I looked at these both in a Sony Style shop (not a good place to buy, but a good place to look at any rate!), and in a Best Buy Magnolia and Circuit City, comparing to other vendors / models.

Samsung also makes a line of 1080p LCD units which might be close to your size / budget req's. I haven't seen any of these in person yet, though, so can't comment.

Quick warning: I know you're not interested in plasma, but just an additional disincentive in that I was looking at the new Pioneer 1080p model (FHD1, I think?) in a Best Buy - Magnolia, and noticed significant issues with the image quality of a scaled image. There were horizontal distortion-lines in the image, running roughly every 60 pixels or so. These weren't always noticeable, but when they were it was quite distracting. It was as if every nth line was from a couple of frames earlier, so the colors and edges didn't quite match up. I showed the sales guy and he agreed with me that it was bad - especially at the marked price (over $7K !!!).

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I don't what moron brought plasma, but if you're at all going to use it for a PC monitor stay away from plasma. The new ones don't "burn-in" like the early ones, but I still wouldn't risk it.

I personally like DLP, which has a much better contrast ratio (blacks look black, not a dark grey like on LCDs). If you are going to use it as a monitor, go for 1080p for better desktop resolution.

PS+ There is also JVC's LcOS (liquid crystal on silicon) and Sony's version which they call SXRD (same thing). Both are superior to LCD and are probably in your price range.

And there might be some great deals out before the new year. And remember...Price is ALWAYS negotiable. AND don't buy your cables at the store as thats where they make major $$$. Check out monoprice.com, which are raved about at home theater forums.