Opinions on the Sony XBR2 40" LCD 1080p

Gallente

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Sony XBR2 40" LCD 1080p

I saw it on display at Circuit City and it was awesome. I'll be playing videogames on it about 90% of the time. Is it worth the money? If not, what other TVs in the 40"+ range do you recommend? My budget is about $3100.

pcwlai

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I am no expect but I bought that today.

There is few 1080p panel LCD TV in the range of 37"-40". When considering the resolution in that range, Sony really makes a good product. The overall picture quality is great especially when you compare it with other 1080p 37"-42" LCD TVs side by side with their respective near optimum tuning.

Of course, the price is a bit higher than other brands but you get a better exterior design and more input connections.

I will be using it for PS3, XBox 360 and the HD videos.

Khaalathas

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
anyone who is recommending a 900 lumen projector for home theatre use needs to do some research on what can/should be used in the home as far as equipment. Please don't post replies to subjects unless you actually know what your talking about. People actually may take your advice. 1200 lumens is the recommended MINIMUM rating for in home use. That projector is a Business presentation projector and is completely inadequate for use in a home environment. Please nobody buy that unit or any projector for home use unless its a dedicated home theatre room that is dark. Remember no matter how great the projector is it can still only give you blacks that are as dark as the room it is in. Sony also makes a model number v2500 that is 1080p and the only major difference between the two other then obvious styling is the fact that the sony xbr2 series has the bravia pro video processing engine. This is the processor in the unit and on the Xbr is capable of improving lower level signals (1080i, 720p) up to 1080p. The xbr is well worth every penny though in my opinion as this is a very great feature to be able to upconvert lower level signals. Get the xbr you wont be sorry.

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
anyone who is recommending a 900 lumen projector for home theatre use needs to do some research on what can/should be used in the home as far as equipment. Please don't post replies to subjects unless you actually know what your talking about. People actually may take your advice. 1200 lumens is the recommended MINIMUM rating for in home use. That projector is a Business presentation projector and is completely inadequate for use in a home environment. Please nobody buy that unit or any projector for home use unless its a dedicated home theatre room that is dark. Remember no matter how great the projector is it can still only give you blacks that are as dark as the room it is in. Sony also makes a model number v2500 that is 1080p and the only major difference between the two other then obvious styling is the fact that the sony xbr2 series has the bravia pro video processing engine. This is the processor in the unit and on the Xbr is capable of improving lower level signals (1080i, 720p) up to 1080p. The xbr is well worth every penny though in my opinion as this is a very great feature to be able to upconvert lower level signals. Get the xbr you wont be sorry.

WOW, your first post has you digging up a 5 month old thread and acting like a TROLL.

Listen up dickwad, most CALIBRATED home theater projectors are in the 4-500 ANSI lumen range.

Learn how to read, it's a HOME THEATER PROJECTOR. Business projectors are the ones with 1500 lumens+ (to light up board rooms) and they're not available in 1080p resolution, as that res is for HDTV and HD-DVD/BluRay.

Oh yeah douchebag, any 1080p TV/Projector scales any lower res signal (720p & 1080i, 480i/p) to 1080p.

PLEASE, don't post replies unless you actually know what you're talking about. Wanker.