Invalid system disk

bluemanfu

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I bought an older toshiba sat. with no hard drive or os. I got a hard drive and installed it and have been trying to install Ubuntu on it. When I boot it says invalid system disk, I can get into bios. any suggestions.

bluemanfu

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I had an older version of Ubuntu, and was able to install it. So CD player works, but not sure of the Ubuntu CD. Thanks.

frozenlead

Distinguished
It's likely not the CD, more likely to be a wonky setting in the BIOS that's preventing the CD from booting. Check that CD boot is enabled and placed in a preference before your hard disk. Try booting without your hard disk installed too. If it does boot without it, you may want to format the disk again.

Just as a check, though - you are downloading an ISO of linux and then properly burning the image to a disk using a utility that can do it (such as Nero)? Or are you simply burning a data disk that contains the ISO file?

bluemanfu

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I think I'm just burning a data disk that contains the ISO file?? I know that when I look on the write to CD, it only shows the 1 file Xubuntu, and not what is on the disk. I'm a total newbie to Linux. But I'm learning thanks to people like you.

bluemanfu

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

bluemanfu

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I finally got the Xubuntu installed but some how screwed up the keyboard settings, How do I reset the keyboard for all English?

frozenlead

Distinguished
Your other message tells me you weren't burning the ISO's properly.

However, since you got one working...

How to switch your keyboard? It's different for the interfaces - gnome, kde, etc.. It should, however, be in a system settings menu - and you can use your mouse to get there. Knowing linux, though, there's prolly some terminal command you can use.

bluemanfu

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Thanks for all your help. I just wiped the drive and reinstalled Xubuntu and all is well, for now any. I sure appreciate all you help.