IBM thinkpad t23 + windows xp pro install black screen

felipe1111

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Let me start off by saying anytime I have a computer issue this forum is my first resort and usually helps me solve my problems. However, this problem has been haunting me for a while and have yet to find an answer.

I have an older IBM thinkpad t23 which still runs decently for what I use it. Internet, office etc. However recently its hard drive got corrupt and I replaced it. I used to have windows xp pro w/ sp2 on it for the longest time. Now, whenever I try and install windows xp pro right in the middle of the setup, my screen goes blank. No hd activity nothing. I have to hard reboot and once I do, I see the windows xp splash screen and then a blue screen that says "setup is restarting............." and again same issue, the screen goes black. I suspect it has something to do with video drivers not being on the cd but I am not sure if that is true or even how to work around it. I must also add that I have successfully installed windows xp home edition on it but don't want home edition.

If someone could please help me with this issue it would be magnificent. Thanks in advance.