Combining Different Size Memory-Performance Hit?

jamesrwright

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I currently have an Acer Notebook-T5500..1gb Ram-Vista. I was going to add another GB of memory, but the best buy is out of the 1GB Dimms.. They only have the 2GB Dimms..so that would mean I have 1 GB Dimm in one and a 2GB in another..

I remember back in the day it was said that the computer may take a performance hit if the memory is not the same size..Is that still the case? Would be ok for me to combine a 1 GB Dimm with a 2 GB Dimm..I don't use the computer for any gaming..just HD Decoding and Office applications..

cheaptofix

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
the right way is to makesure that the ram are same make and frequency, the best thing to do is takeout the ram in your laptop go to best buy and show it to them and yes buy 1 stick of 2gb the more the better. miximg brands will sometimes cause freezing ect..if you can't find the same one than replace everything and sell yours on ebay.

your maximum ram is 3gb to 3.5gb. don't go more thats if you have 2 slots underneath.

frozenlead

Distinguished

I don't suggest the first part. Knowledge is better than Ignorance, in this case - learn a little about what you're buying and save some cash.

As for the second, I don't recall him saying he had a 32bit OS, or any specific chipset that would limit it. But 2GB should fit most people's bill anyway.