What about external graphics cards?

redex

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I know they are not mentioned very frequently but what about pairing up an external graphics card with a laptop for gaming.

I'm already aware I would need to purchase an external display.

What expansion port would I need to plug in an external graphics card? How expensive is the enclosure?

I never got the answer to my last question: Will Team fortress 2, Command and Conquer 3, and Red Alert 3 even run on a Macbook with Windows installed via boot camp and if so at what resolution?

I'm already aware Macs are not great for gaming!

I also know OSX has very few ports of popular windows games, and I would need to install windows to play most games!!!

On the Command and Conquer 3 box it says a GeForce 4+ for Windows XP and GeForce 6100+ for Vista is required to run the game. Does this imply a GeForce 9400M would have no trouble running Command and Conquer 3 at a low to medium resolution?

frozenlead

Distinguished
The only interface I know is the Asus XG station:
http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=5369

It requires an expresscard slot, which no Mac is equipped with (Apple thought the artists wouldn't need one...now they can't even get photoshop CS4).

And, yes, your thoughts are true on C&C 3 - however, be careful on other games! Game boxes list desktop cards only! A 9400M is NOT equivalent to a desktop 9400!

The "best graphics cards for the money" has a graphics card comparison table that lists what the 9400M is comparable to in the desktop world.

redex

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Could you post a link to the "best graphics cards for the money" chart you're talking about that lists what the 9400 is comparable to? I can't find it.