Dell Precision M6300 with Nvidia FX1600 VGA problem

bradley8424

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Hello all,

I have a Dell Precision M6300 laptop with Nvidia FX1600 graphics running Windows Vista Business 64. The LCD screen and DVI output perform wonderfully. However, whenever I hook up a projector to the VGA port the video shakes and flickers. I have not seen this on 2 other identical M6300s. This wouldn't really be an issue but this laptop is used in China often and they always have VGA connectors available for their projectors. We use DVI for our projector in the office.

Dell has replaced the motherboard and graphics card but the problem remains. I've tried several different driver versions and it is running the latest BIOS. I've tried all kinds of different resolutions, refresh rates, display settings, etc, to no avail.

Today I am reinstalling Windows because I don't know what else to do, but I have a feeling that this won't fix the problem.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Also, what are my next steps with Dell if reinstalling Vista doesn't do the trick? This system was purchased in March 2008.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Indeed wierd. I actually would have suspected the VGA cable itself. . . but if you tried other m6300 on the same setup and they work fine, then it seems to be just onof those things. . . just get a DVI to VGA adapter in the short run.

bradley8424

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Reinstalling Windows did not solve the problem. Unfortunately this system doesn't have the analog out on the DVI, so an adapter is not an option. Any ideas?

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
DVI-D / DVD-I / Dual Link / Single Link doesn't matter. You can get converters for all (athough. . . there's a cost)

I understand it's not a solution, but a workaround short of Dell providing you with a completely new unit. Which they should since, as you stated previously, that the other 6300s work fine. and a board swap did nothing.

However. . how long is that VGA cable to the projector, anyway?

Aikidoka

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I encourage you to contact NVidia. I have about my M6300. I did not have an issue with Vista 64, but cannot get rid of the issue running Windows 7 32 or 64 bit. So far they have been unable to reproduce it and think it is projector specific. I doubt this as I have had the issue with 4 or 5 different projectors. I'm thinking this is specific to the M6300. I'll probably contact Dell now also.

BagOfDoorknobs

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
I had the same problem on my M6300 running Windows 7 (32-bit). Tried all the Nvidia 18x and 19x series drivers with no luck. Problem only occurs when using the VGA output. You can fix this by going to Dell's web site and installing the Vista 32-bit driver (R189052). You can grab it at http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R189052&SystemID=PREC_M6300&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=15062&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=3&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=6&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=259103.

I've submitted an issue with Nvidia so we'll see.